586,042 active members*
3,700 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > PlanetCNC > [TNGv2] Possible improvement to speed up homing

[TNGv2] Possible improvement to speed up homing

The changes to the homing script are good in that it improves accuracy, I have my Speed set to 100mm/m and then slow set to 1mm/minute with all switch positions set to -0.5mm. They are very small micro switches. To home the 3 axis's the slow part of the homing takes about 1.5 minutes. This could be improved if there was an option to move a percentage of the slow movement at the fast movement speed. So after backing off to turn a limit switch back off you could move back in a big chunk of that distance at the fast speed before changing to the slow speed. My guess is you could safely move back 80% of the distance (with my switches anyway) at the fast speed. In my case this would cut the homing procedure down from 90 seconds to a bit under 20 seconds.

Cheers
    Simon

Re: [TNGv2] Possible improvement to speed up homing

There is no reason to to home at speed 1mm/minute. Limit inputs react immediately. There is no delay between signal and controller stop/measurement.
    See this image. On the bottom is limit pin signal. Switch bouncing is clearly visible. On top are steps for X axis. You can see that after limit switch is triggered there are no more steps.

So only reason for slow speed is to reduce error due to machine mechanics. And I'm sure that all CNCs can handle speeds higher that 1mm/min.