587,035 active members*
2,982 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Phase Converters > High standby current on my new mill

High standby current on my new mill

Two weeks ago got my new Sharp SV-2412 mill with Fanuc 0i controller. The power supply is a TEMCo 7000-29 rotary phase converter.

I’m hoping some one could explain the following. When the spindle is running at 1000 RPM the load on each phase is about 1 Amp, on the other hand when nothing moves the load on each phase is 30-31Amp. If the emergency button pressed the load drops bellow 1Amp.

This problem showed up because the soldering give up on one of the 40 Amp fuse. I’m afraid to run the machine this way, don’t want to overload and fry something.

Talked to the service technician, he blames the converter. Sort of understand what he is telling me, but not convinced 100% .

Any advice and explanation is greatly appreciated. Thanks gents.

Artur

If you have a clamp on ammeter, prefereably AC/DC like the attachment type, work through the distribution and take readings at different points to pin-point the source of high currrent, for e.g. , take a reading on the 3ph input to the drive etc. It has to be a circuit that normally takes high current otherwise a fuse would have blown, control etc.
    If it shows that the SP drive is reading high, disconnect the SP motor and test again.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Tried to look at possible points on the machine where I could use a clamp on ammeter. Unfortunately could not find any sections on the cables to clamp around – possible locations are sealed and don’t want to play with the warranty.
    I was advised to get a Phase Perfect converter and if the problem persists then they (Sharp) will look at the machine and fix it if there is a problem. I don’t have much of the choice in this matter, nevertheless I like to understand what possible explanation is out there for my problem.
    Why a Fanuc controller would pull 30 Amp from a RPC when nothing runs just the controller and couple of fans? Thanks.
    Artur

Tried to look at possible points on the machine where I could use a clamp on ammeter. Unfortunately could not find any sections on the cables to clamp around – possible locations are sealed and don’t want to play with the warranty.
    I was advised to get a Phase Perfect converter and if the problem persists then they (Sharp) will look at the machine and fix it if there is a problem. I don’t have much of the choice in this matter, nevertheless I like to understand what possible explanation is out there for my problem. Why a Fanuc controller would pull 30 Amp from a RPC when nothing runs just the controller and couple of fans? Thanks.
    Artur