586,111 active members*
3,522 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Tools / Tooling Technology > Toolgrinding / Toolgrinding Machines > Punch grinding with 5C spin index on surface grinder

Punch grinding with 5C spin index on surface grinder

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had insight into this process. I need to grind some punch blanks with my 5c spin indexer on my surface grinder. My question is this: do I set the wheel directly on the center of the punch or slightly to one side? Thanks to anyone who can help.

Regards,
    Phil

Direct center or a wee bit behind.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Set the wheel directly on the center of the punch never to one side. And I advice to use a DEDTROU for this type of jobs.

Depending upon what you intend to do, a 5C spin fixture isn't considered accurate enough for grinding the OD of a punch. Most die work that I did was held to .0005 TIR or less and that was an accepted standard. Length of the punch will also affect the OD, rendering a taper as most 5C spin fixtures simply aren't made to do work of this nature with any accuracy. If it's a small/short detail on the end of the punch then disregard what I'm saying here. A 5C spin fixture is fine for milling or looser tolerance grinding but you should be aware of why it's not used for precision work. There's a direct link between cost of the tooling and the capability of it, you get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by roninB4 View Post
    Depending upon what you intend to do, a 5C spin fixture isn't considered accurate enough for grinding the OD of a punch. Most die work that I did was held to .0005 TIR or less and that was an accepted standard. Length of the punch will also affect the OD, rendering a taper as most 5C spin fixtures simply aren't made to do work of this nature with any accuracy. If it's a small/short detail on the end of the punch then disregard what I'm saying here. A 5C spin fixture is fine for milling or looser tolerance grinding but you should be aware of why it's not used for precision work. There's a direct link between cost of the tooling and the capability of it, you get what you pay for.
    +1