586,069 active members*
3,425 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

PMDX-122 and PMDX-411

I recently 4 Stepperonline kits including: 4 1699oz. Closed loops motors with CL86Y drivers. I am using a PMDX-411 for my controller. It is attached to my PMDX-122 Breakout board. I am using Mach4 software (purchased hobby version). I am running individual power supplies for each motor and driver and a 5 volt power supply for the PMDX-122.

This is my third build and my largest. I have never used closed loop before, but with its accuracy and resolution, I thought it a good idea.

Here is my problem. I have hooked the four motors to the drivers and to the terminals on the BOB as X,Y,Z,A. In Mach4 I am slaving A with X. Two motors for the X Axis.
    When I turn the system on and try jogging, everything works well except for Z. Z will spin one direction, but will create a fault when trying to spin the other direction.
    Now if I remove lets say the A drive, everything works fine. I have tested every possible combinations, using different motors with different drivers etc. All with the same results.

Has anyone had any issue with this, I have contacted both Stepperonline and PMDX people, but I do not believe they are working through this pandemic.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Daryl

Re: PMDX-122 and PMDX-411

What I learned you can not have a A motor as Slave to your X. Your motors are setup with Motor 0, Motor 1 and so on and then assigned to the axis. Take A motor out all together. Then whatever motor # you want as a Slave to the X motor number add that as Slave. You still have the 4 motors, only one is a slave. I am using direct drive screws, if I was using belt drive to rack and pinon the Slaved side might need reversed, just a Click in the setup screen. No big deal.

Your Z problem might go away after all this, if not check the wiring.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP