586,075 active members*
4,286 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Tramming CNC mill head: best tool?

I work for a machine tool dealer with a very picky customer! Our service techs have previously checked the squareness of the column and table by sweeping the table surface with a .0001" indicator and mag base on the spindle nose.

My service guys have charged me with the responsibility of locating a tool more similar to what they overseas factories use. Reaching the factory is almost impossible, so.....

What we are looking for (what it looks like the factory uses) is a tool like the one in a drawing I've attached. A solid right angle bar coming out of a shrink fit tool where an indicator can be attached at the end. Am I looking for something that doesn't exist? I appreciate any help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails squareness.gif  

Quote Originally Posted by struture7 View Post
    I work for a machine tool dealer with a very picky customer! Our service techs have previously checked the squareness of the column and table by sweeping the table surface with a .0001" indicator and mag base on the spindle nose.

My service guys have charged me with the responsibility of locating a tool more similar to what they overseas factories use. Reaching the factory is almost impossible, so.....

What we are looking for (what it looks like the factory uses) is a tool like the one in a drawing I've attached. A solid right angle bar coming out of a shrink fit tool where an indicator can be attached at the end. Am I looking for something that doesn't exist? I appreciate any help!
    Dude just make one yourself It does not have to be anything high precision just solid. We made our own. And I used it for years in the field. As long as it is solid all you are doing is checking squarness of the spindle to the table. I will bet you your factory guys have made there own too

Bluesman

Tramming Bridgeport Mill

I have a question for someone who has more experience than I.
    It is pretty simple to sweep the table in the x axis. However when sweeping the y axis, if you have to move the head, it isn't a simple + and - reading on the indicator as the center of rotation of the head is offset from the table. I have been toying with the idea of purchasing a cylinderetical square for this purpose. Then one could just mount the indicator in the spindle and extend the ram down the side of the square. Any advice??

OM

I agree with Bluesman , if it's really rigid it will be fine , what is the customers problem ? If you trammel the spindle to the table you are checking it is square to the top of the machine table and I guess assuming the Z axis is dead square to table top and also the top of the table is square to its slideways . What machine is it . ?