586,437 active members*
3,865 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need advice re removing spindle

I have a Bridgeport Series I CNC with a Kwik-Switch spindle. The Kwik-Switch has stopped working, it won't grab the tool holder. Worked fine until yesterday. It seems to me that I will need to remove the spindle to examine and fix the Kwik-Switch. But it looks like there is not enough room over the table to drop the spindle. My options appear to be:

1) pull the head, mount it on a bench, then remove the spindle,
    2) rotate the head about the Y axis so the spindle is parallel to the table,
    3) rotate the ram and head about the Z axls, so the spindle stays vertical but is not over the table and there is room to drop it.

I would appreciate any advice.

Re: Need advice re removing spindle

Not familiar with the Kwik Switch itself ( Bridgeport had a variety of rapid-change noses - mine are for NMTB holders) - but for removing the spindled itself, I'd be surprised if you cannot drop the table enough to have the clearance necessary to remove the spindle. However, if there isn't enough, I'd go for rotating the head sideways.

Quote Originally Posted by jrlandau View Post
    I have a Bridgeport Series I CNC with a Kwik-Switch spindle. The Kwik-Switch has stopped working, it won't grab the tool holder. Worked fine until yesterday. It seems to me that I will need to remove the spindle to examine and fix the Kwik-Switch. But it looks like there is not enough room over the table to drop the spindle. My options appear to be:

1) pull the head, mount it on a bench, then remove the spindle,
    2) rotate the head about the Y axis so the spindle is parallel to the table,
    3) rotate the ram and head about the Z axls, so the spindle stays vertical but is not over the table and there is room to drop it.

I would appreciate any advice.
    If you have to remove the spindle which I doubt you have to, depending on what model machine you have is to how you would have to remove it, series 1 Boss machines comes in more than one head type so a photo of your head would say how you would have to take it apart, the Kwik- Switch is removeable by it's self the spindle does not have to be removed to take it apart

Here is some information on how to repair it

Assembly and disassembly of Kwik-Switch II nuts and triggers on Spindles

Kwik-Switch Master Lock Nuts
    Mactec54

You do Not have to remove the spindle. Look at the knurled nut that you put your hand on to remove the tools, there are a few holes in it look for ( i think it's brass if i can remember correctly ) a brass piece and push it in with a small screw driver and loosen the nut.
    There are a couple springs inside so be careful. One or both of these springs broke this is why it doesn't hold the tool.

Now that i think about it more there is a screw you have to remove in one of the holes...Remove it and loosen the nut.

Thanks, guys, for saving me from foolishly removing the spindle. I got the KS nut off and gave it a good cleaning (found no broken springs). So far, so good--seems to work now

Yes, many times just a simple cleaning will get the various holders to work again - they love to gunk up with dries coolant and tiny metal chips (especially cast iron powder), and then start to give problems.