Quote Originally Posted by kansaswoodrat View Post
New flexible couplers have been installed, along with complete cable replacement due to splices in middle of old ones and
sheath grounded on both ends(motors and controller box). New ones sheaths are only grounded on controller box end to
hopefully eliminate any EMI from power and control cables running side by side in cable trough. With changing the G54
to G56 and adding a G0Z5 below that mill is performing very well on fusion 360 gcode. I still feel more comfortable working
with a G56 offset somewhere near middle of table for now. Motor pin connectors were exposed and prone to be struck by
accident without extreme care, so I have designed some guards and will post pics soon of what that looks like. In near
future I am the removing the mdf mill bed and replacing with 1.5 inch delrin plate topped with 1/2 inch aluminum
plate drilled every two inches with 1/4 threaded holes for holddowns. At that point I hope to try some aluminum milling, which
will include either air pressure mister or cutting fluid mister. Thanks for the help in getting me pointed in the correct
direction.
AnthonyClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Motor_guard.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	264.9 KB 
ID:	442772
You can use any offset you want it will not make and difference to how the machine will run, each work offset used is referenced from the home position so G54 G55 G56 G57 G58 Etc all work the same way just use what ever one you want

If you don't home your machine and then Set your work offset ( which a lot of hobby users do ) then you have no reference to your machine home