586,065 active members*
4,842 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > First test of Series I Boss 6 mill? Spindle inop...

First test of Series I Boss 6 mill? Spindle inop...

Hello everyone,

I just powered up a Series I Boss 6 (at least that's the boss # that the seller said it was, don't know how to tell) that I just bought. I have been messing around with the functions, and have gotten X, Y, and Z axes to move. However, I have yet to be able to move the spindle. I remember reading somewhere that there is an interlock switch on the Bijur autolube that will not allow the spindle to move if the level is too low. Is that true? If so, I'll probably top it off with whatever auto oil I have on hand (probably 10w30) and try to get it to reset.

Does that seem to raise any problems? Also, are there any other reasons that anyone can think of as to why the spindle won't turn. I am brand new at CNC, and this mill, so please don't think anything more complicated than plugging the machine into the phase converter is too simple or obvious.

Finally, if anyone has come up with a good way to test the functions of one of these mills without having the tape for the tape drive, I'd love to hear it. Thanks to all for any suggestions!!

Ian

Way oil is very special. Do not use motor oil!
    There is also a overload for the spindle. It could be tripped. It may have a air brake that needs to be released.
    ETC.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

1st problem solved, on to next problem...

Thanks George, for the quick response. I went back to the shop and reset everything that I could think of and lo and behold the spindle now turns!

Unfortunately, now the table will not move in the X axis. I can enter commands in the MDI mode and hear the X motor spinning. Y and Z are working fine as usual. It seems that somehow the motor has become disconnected from the ball screw. I did meddle with the black round knob located on the right side of the knee, above the Y axis motor, but I think that it's only a Y axis brake right? I guess it's possible that it's a tensioner for the belt on the X axis, but if anything it would seem to go with the Y axis.

Anyone know what that knob does, and why my table won't move in the X axis? Thanks!!

Ian

No, you probably have a shorted X axis final drive transistor. It is oscillating between poles hence the whine but no movement. Put it in step and step the X axis, it will go 3 steps forward, and one step back.
    Check the output of T2. It should be no higher than 63 VAC.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

X axis inop

Wow, that sounds expensive. I'll check that out tonight. So you're saying that if I put it in step and it goes 3 steps forward and one step back that the transistor is bad right?
    I'm looking for the procedure for getting it into step mode in the manual right now

As far as checking the output of T2, which two wires do I need to measure accross at the transformer?

Thanks very much for the knowledgeable help!!

Ian

From the left, the 1st and 4th wire go to the X axis, 2nd to 5th to the Y and 3rd to 6th to the Z.
    Transistors are the cheapest fix on this machine except for pushing a overload or putting way oil in the tank.

George

Transistor checking and replacement

MachinTek told me that I probably need to replace the X axis final drive transistor due to my X axis humming but not moving. I've been trying to locate the information to do this in my maintenance manual and in these forums. It appears that the transistor in question is found on the board attached to the SMD board. I found it on the diagram (1040215 in my Maintenance Manual) that shows the axis drive system. I think that the transistor that I'll need to replace is one of the Q1 through Q4 transistors. Is that correct? Which one handles the X axis?

The spare parts list in the maint. man. lists transistors Q1-Q4 as part number 11-50-7944 on the Boss 6 controller. I'm working on finding someone at bridgeport that carries that part #. I've also been looking in other posts, and have found out that there may be a number for that transistor (hopefully it's the same part) that you can cross reference to Mouser and buy the transistor directly. The number that I've found is:2N6547 from a post on 10-14-2006, 11:59 AM from MachinTek replying to a thread labeled "BP Series I axis problems".

Is that indeed what I need to order a few of from Mouser? Is there a way to test the motors to see if they have degraded to the point of toasting another transistor as soon as I install it?

Eventually, I'd like to turn down the rapid speed on the RCK or ZCK board
    to prevent these things from blowing often.

I know that I'm asking a lot of questions, but you guys seem to be the only ones that have any answers and I'm desperate to get this mill purring and make some chips Thanks to all for the continued help!!

Ian

Talking Replying to my own post here...

I've spent the last several hours looking through threads about the problems with BP series I axes, and know more than when I posted last.

I know now that there is an axis drive board for each axis, and EACH board has 4 transistors.

I know where they're located (on the heat sink behind the SMD board)

I have a confirmed part number (2n6547 preferably Motorola) for the final drive transistors.

I know that there are alternatives to the transistors that have a greater voltage, average amps and peak amps (MJ16016) although I probably won't upgrade until I've got things running right again.

I know that it's a good idea to change all 4 transistors on an axis drive board at once, because a transistor on the way out weakens the others around it.

I know that my Boss 6 mill does not have a RCK, rather it has a ZCK board that would need to be adjusted to slow down the rapid speed and hopefully save some transistors.

I know to look for an SMS board that may help my machine to handle the shock to the transistors of an emergency stop.

I know that eventually, I'm going to get a BOB from HillBilly and be done with the BOSS 6 control.

The above is not to brag, but to document my learning process for anyone else that buys a Series I Boss 6 Bridgeport on EBAY and doesn't know the first thing to do with it. It's also to sing the praises of all the EXPERTS on this forum that know more than I could imagine about these machines. Thanks particularly to Machintek!

However:

I STILL DON'T KNOW:

How you adjust the ZCK board to slow down the rapid speed.

How you use the different modes that the MDI gives you access to, and where in the manuals to find out.

If Hillbilly's board will allow you to set the rapid speed so as not to blow the drive transistors so often.

Where to get Bridgeport paint for touch up.

As always, thanks for any help that you can give me with the I DON'T KNOW list!!

Transistors

The transistor modules are located behind the 3 smd boards.
    Each is marked x-y-z.
    These are easy to check and to replace.
    I have an extra module that I just switch and then replace the bad one and keep it for next time.
    I have been lucky and only had 1 go bad.
    There are 2 modules on EBAY now.
    It is handy to have a extra 1 prepared ready to go.

I spent days trying to enter midi commands until I found a friend of a friend to stop by after work an spend 5 hours remembering the operator commands. These seem over complicated and convinced me real quickly to retro

Smile Found the culprit

Got it! Nothing like the thrill of pinning down what's been torturing you for days. It was of course one of the transistors on the heatsink for the X axis. Parts are on order, just have to be patient 'til they get here. Thanks to all for the help. Next on the docket is making sure that everything is working as it should, and then tear half of it out for a HillBilly BOB retrofit.