586,061 active members*
4,770 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Xylotex > mach3 running xylotex 3axis weird problem

mach3 running xylotex 3axis weird problem

Hello everyone , I have a problem with xylotex , I am pretty shure all my setting on mach3 are ok, when I turn power on I hear a weird sound on my Yaxis motor (almost sound like electrical arcing) now if I dont turn power off in a few second I know it will burn the board (happen before) . The current from the power supply is around 2amp when the motors lock-up . Is this about right?Now when this happen the current jump to about 7 amp on my clamp-on ampmeter before I turn it off. I have tried swapping motor location (did not help) the only thing that stop it beside playing around with the jog button is removing the parralel port cable (not much help there). So when the noise stop I can start like the roadrunner gcode program and it will run good until it end. After, if I dont turn it off, after a while the wierd sound will start again the current will jump up again.I am running windowxp with sony viao multimedia computer , my LPT1 driver file is c \windows\system32\drivers\parport.sys.Now when this is not happening the current on each motor is about 1.6amp (each step and direction)425OZ-IN motor measured with a clamp-on upon lock-up and only increase about .2amp when working.Could this be a computer problem I am getting a bit desperate here. Any ideas anyone?

Possible a wiring problem, or a short in the stepper. Nothing to do with the PC I don't think.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

weird problem

Well could a wiring problem or a short stepper motor be intermittent?Cause when its ok I can run the roadrunner file twice without any problems all my motors run smooth ( over 30 minutes ) but when it end, if I leave it sitting there , the sound will start again the current will jump up and I will have to shut it down. The only way to stop that for awhile is by playing with the jog buttons back and forth or as I just find out to disconnect the parallel port cable.With the parralel port disconnected the problem will not start again.I had read somewhere that new computer had less powerfull parallels port output or something? Although it run fine when it does.My computer run pentiumDcpu 2.80ghz 512 Mb ram.
    Lpt1 driver C\windows\system32\drivers\parport.sys.Thanks for answering.

How do you have your enables setup? If you have them jumpered as always enabled, change ti to make sure they are disabled until your ready to run.
    Phil, Still too many interests, too many projects, and not enough time!!!!!!!!
    Vist my websites - http://pminmo.com & http://millpcbs.com

Thanks ger21

You were right ger21 wiring was my problem leakage through shield I gess.I was using 4 wire connectors (trailer lights type) so when I soldered the wire I did not stripped the shielded wires long enough and the insulation melted under the jacket so it pass unnoticed. Thanks

Replace to motor

If the X and Y motor the same can you replace Y by X and see what happen?
    If theproblem transfer to X axis the the problem in Y motor but if the problem still in Y axis then the problem on the stage befor motor maybe short ciruit on wiring
    good luck

weird problem solved

The weird sound and lost of control of stepper motor were due to induced voltage on vref line , you need to insulate the db25 connector from the xylotex board so your computer ground does not touch your junction box ground.(Before I did this I could not ground my motors shield) Thanks everyone