586,051 active members*
3,825 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Unhappy Busted CNC board

I bought a board and steppers from hobbycnc. Upon putting together the circuit board and plugging in the power, the board went *Poof*. so far i have found that i need to replace the stepper chip SLA7078MR and regulator LM317AHV

My problem is the only place to get the SLA.... i would need to buy a min of 800. Anyone know of a place that sells these chips individually. Hobbycnc does sell the chip alone but 2x the cost from newark,etc.

TIA

Call the OEM of the chip and see if they will "sample" you one or two. Tell them you are a student and need it for a class project and 25% of your term grade depends on the success of procuring and building the parts and assembling the "device" by a certain drop dead deadline.

If you find that sort of chicanery to be abhorant, pay the price that HobbyCNC wants - they probably bought the large quantity that you can't/won't buy and is entitled to make a profit as a result of their investment.

Oh and one more thing, be more careful next time.

Ill look around some more before i resort to mooching the chip or just biting the bullet.

BTW: i tested everything for any shorts then gave it proper voltage before soldering on the stepper chips and everything met the proper voltage. It went out destroying the voltage regulator in the process.