586,110 active members*
3,276 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cutting a Surface plate?

I could use 36" or 48" surface plate, but no one makes one that's 8" or 12" wide. A wide plate of that length would be too heavy for my uses, such as guitar fretboard truing.

Can a surface plate be cut the long way without destroying its accuracy? Are there internal stresses that would just ruin the accuracy?

I had thought it could be cut by a water-cooled diamond blade in gravestone or counter top shop.

I was also thinking that splitting a 24" plate into three would yield 3 plates that could, hypothetically be trued together, if need be. The pieces would still be over a hundred pounds but could slide on find grinding compound or cerium oxide, such as the telescope people use.

I wouldn't imagine that cutting a block of granite would ruin it's flatness.

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

Find a place that does granite counter tops. Go around back, and get a few scraps from their dumpster. Get a roughly matching pair, and play around with lapping them a little bit if they need it. How flat do you really need it?

Flatness, for instance a guitar fret will buzz if it's .002 off. I would like to make other straightedges from the surface plate too.

Both require only a small portion of a large surface plate. I've seen granite straightedges before, which would be ideal, but I could probably have a surface plate cut for less.

I'm surprised that long aspect ration plates aren't common.

Checkout this E-bay store.
    http://stores.ebay.com/Discount-Machine-Shop
    Larry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 303-91029115.jpg  
    L GALILEO THE EPOXY SURFACE PLATE IS FLAT

If it were me I'd go out and get the ElCheepo Grizly surface plate and find some one with a Water Jet cutter. I know the one at the shop I use to cut stuff can cut up to 5" think Marble.
    An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all, and Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.

How about a nearby memorial marker (gravestone) shop? I'd think they could cut a piece of granite or marble the size you want and probably grind it as flat as you require. I bet you could have it surface ground at a grind shop if the memorial shop couldn't.

Just a thought.
    DZASTR

if you did that, could you then say it was "dead flat"?
    Grizzly X3, CNC Fusion Ballscrew kit, 3 500oz-in bipolar steppers, 3 203v Gecko's, Linear power supply from Hubbard CNC, Mach 3, BOBcad Pro Art V22, Rhino.

I believe you're "dead right".
    DZASTR

good, i was afraid i was "gravely" mistaken..
    Grizzly X3, CNC Fusion Ballscrew kit, 3 500oz-in bipolar steppers, 3 203v Gecko's, Linear power supply from Hubbard CNC, Mach 3, BOBcad Pro Art V22, Rhino.

I'll bet it would be deadly accurate!

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

I suspect these comments will be terminated. That is, of course, unless they are resurected by someone who believes in reincarnation.
    DZASTR

You have to know some one will give these comments a second life
    An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all, and Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.

Anyway back to the thread topic.

I can't believe that no one makes a long narrow surface plate. There are a lot of thin narrow things that could be measured without taking up the whole shop with a stone two people couldn't move by hand.

Seriously, they are available. The problem is your required size isn't a common standard size. Consequently, it's a "special" which will cost more. I've seen many off-sized granite blocks at auctions, but that would be leaving it pretty much to chance.

You could purchase the nearest to the size you want and have it cut down to your requirements. Probably could be done by a local tile / terrazzo mechanic for less $$$$ than ordering a "special".
    DZASTR

Check that catalogue that lgalla posted a picture of. On page 19 of their current catalogue, there are some granite parallels listed, and black granite straight edges.
    Something like 2 x 4 x 24" for $160
    2 x 6 x 36 for $390

Flatness grade A .00005" /foot

The website is www.shars.com, but they are also known as discount machine on Ebay. I don't know if everything they sell is on Ebay.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)