586,043 active members*
3,631 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Unhappy Burned resistor

Hi!

I bought one of the nice colored tan CNEST machines with PRT-E1500W controller. After configuring it according to helpful threads in this forum I started a test run, and after a minute or two I smelled something burnt and the spindle stopped.

After opening the machine I saw what I think is a resistor that seems to be blown.

I have contacted the seller, but in the mean time I thought to see if someone else have had this problem (couldn't find anything with google search). And possible if someone have the same controller they could measure the resistor so i can replace it.

Re: Burned resistor

I failed to include the images in the previous post. Including them here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cnc1.jpg   cnc2.jpg  

Re: Burned resistor

Hi,
    from the location on the board I would guess that is the pre-charge resistor.

When you first connect the power the power supply capacitors are discharged and there is a HUGE in-rush of current to charge them up, the
    in-rush is that much it usually pops the fuse. To overcome this a resistor of commonly several hundred Ohms is inserted in the capacitor circuit
    and that resistor will limit the charge current such that the fuse does not blow. After a second or so the capacitors are charged and so the resistor can be by-passed
    without risk to the power supply fuse. If the pre-charge relay (or IGBT or MOSFET or SCR or whatever...) does not close after the pre-charge interval
    then the drive load current will have to pass via the pre-charge resistor with the result that it burns up.

You need top establish if it is the pre-charge resistor, as I suspect and second, what device or mechanism is used to bypass the resistor....because if that
    device has failed then your new resistor will last no longer than the original.

Craig