586,075 active members*
3,691 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Allen-Bradley CNC Issue

Hey.

I am starting to learn about CNC machining at work and the machine that I will more than likely be trained to operate is a Bullard VTL (42" maybe?) with an AllenBradley Series 9 control. Not exactly the newest setup but then again I run an old King 52" VTL and I'm surrounded by Bullard Dynatrols. Anyway, On the CNC from time to time I/O Ring Timeout errors come up. In the control enclosure I saw that a lot of fault lights came on simultaneously. I'm assuming that the error relates to the fiber optics and with that in mind I'm also assuming that either the light source is faulty or perhaps the motherboard is near failure. Another possibility is that there is a very tight 3/4" liquitite elbow going to the pendant and that can't be good for the fiber. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Also if there's anywhere I can get info or maybe a manual for the AB controls by all means let me know. TIA. ~J5P332

Go here : http://literature.rockwellautomation..._category.hcst
    and look to the right of page for the search box and search for 9/series this will let you download the AMP, Programming, Maintenance and PAL manuals. If you have any problems yell back at me.

You think that's old?

I got a Series 8200 AB Controller (see pic).

[edit]Oops, sorry, the point being that if it's relevant to your machine I can send you a copy of the manual.[/edit]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ABControl.JPG  
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

I have 2 Quintax 5 axis CNC routers and they both have AB 9/260 controllers on them. They take a little time to get use to but they really are great controllers. I downloaded the Operations and programming manuals from AB's website. You can also download the ODS user manual too. If you have a high speed laser printer you can print the entire 400-500 pages "about 250, front and back" and put it in a 3 ring binder. Thats what I did. Its great for working on the machine since you will often have to flip to 2,3,4,5 or more different sections during your fix. I'm going to have both of my machines upgraded to Fagor 8055 contollers in the next year. Theres going to be a lot of 9 series parts on Ebay when that time comes.

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone can help. I have an internal grinding machine controlled by a AB 9/260 thats just come back from the states (after the motherboard failed) in working order. However since I have got it back I cannot get it to communicate with the ODS to download the AMP or PAL, all I get is a timeout error!! May I add since it's come back I can't get rid of missing I/O error, I wonder if I have to get passed this to download everything again.

Many Thanks