586,069 active members*
3,332 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Coolant Separating

We are using Holcut 795 coolant in a VF0E. The problem is the machine is not run every day (sits a week at the most), but the coolant is seperating in the tank from the water.

The coolant is water soluable mix, just wondering if anyone else had a problem with coolant seperating from sitting too long and what they did to prevent it.

HoCut 795

We've been using Hocut 795 CU (has addititve to prevent staining on copper alloys) for about 2 years now.
    I've not seen problems with separating.

I used to buy a product from valenite, valclean, a machine cleaner that you add to your existing batch, and it cleans the system while you run the machine. After a cleaning cycle, you can change the whole batch.

Anyway, if you talk to your Houghton rep, they should be able to help you pin down your problem.

Are you sure it is not simply tramp oil floating to the top?
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Are you sure it is not simply tramp oil floating to the top?
    Originally I did so we hooked up the skimmer and skimmed it but when I checked the concentration of what was skimmed off it was something like 19% and then concentration in the machine went from 12% to around 4%.

This is after 3 weeks of use. Tank was completely drained and cleaned before the new coolant was added. The two chambers prior to the pump seem to have the majority of raw coolant on top.

We are having the same problem with the saw, raw coolant on top. Not sure if water hardness has anything to do with it? I was going to put a Fish tank air pump in the tank to try and keep the coolant from settling.

Quote Originally Posted by stang5197 View Post
    ... Not sure if water hardness has anything to do with it? I was going to put a Fish tank air pump in the tank to try and keep the coolant from settling.
    Water hardness can cause problems. I never have to worry because the water in our are has very low mineral content.

I made the suggestion in another thread to use the water you get for water coolers, sure it costs a bit but if it solves problems it might be worth it.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Water hardness is a MAJOR factor. My shop is in Yuma, Arizona and the water here is so hard you could beat someone to death with it straight out of the tap! (not to mention that the cold water is about 100 degrees this time of year.) I had a similar problem with the coolant breaking down. We were using Hangsterfers s500 and now Castrol 9954. Same problem with both. Our solution was to get a Mr. Clean spotless carwash sprayer from Walmart and use the filtered water out of it to make our coolant and for water to add to bring the concentration back into check. The water out of this sprayer is supposed to be deionized and totally mineral free and it seems to be working very well.

I wonder if.,.,.,,
    To agitate the coolant mixture, we used to pipe in a tee and hook up a line out of solid steel pipe. We would arange it so it terminated about one half inch above the top of the coolant at a 45 degree angle. This would be active when ever the pump was running. This would agitate the coolant and also cause oxygen to be pulled into the tank. You mentioned using a fishtank pump for air, I would think this would be a dual purpose repair. With a little engineering, you can direct the flow to do any number of things. Direct the flow toward the skimmer to cause the oil to be directed to the skimmer and/or direct the flow toward the next tank (divider) wall etc etc.
    On some machines, the pump runs all the time and the coolant is abled only when the valve is turned on by M07 or M08.
    Regards Walt..

stang5197, As mentioned above, water hardness is a major factor. I had the same problem in different locals. One was cured by a change in coolant formulation by Trim. Second was a larger central system where all water used was processed by a deionizer. The deionizer was serviced by Culligan like the water softener. I'm sure other services are available as well as DIY

Aereating helps to eliminate anaerobic bacteria (the worst kind) problems. That was what used to cause "monday morning stink" and dermatitis with the old water soluble oil coolants. These problems are still out there but not as wide spread as they used to be.

Good luck solving your problem
    DZASTR

Where can you get a small deionizer?

Our solution was to get a Mr. Clean spotless carwash sprayer from Walmart and use the filtered water out of it to make our coolant and for water to add to bring the concentration back into check. The water out of this sprayer is supposed to be deionized and totally mineral free and it seems to be working very well.
    This worked for us.

How long did it take the Mr. Clean to fill the coolant tank?

I have one and it still leaves spots unless I get out the chamois <sp> maybe it will be good for something after all.

fadalman, I do not know how small small is. (kinda sounds Clintonesque doesn't it?) I'd check with Culligan or one of the other water conditioner providers. This is not a water softener. It is water de-ionization. If my memory serves it was quite reasonable, but that is also relative, sorta like small is how small?

Good luck
    DZASTR