586,103 active members*
3,599 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

trial software for newbie

First time I've ever tried this forum thing. we'll see how it goes.

I am looking to build a CNC mill/lathe for woodworking. I want to be able to cut XYZ axis and rotate about the x axis (A rotation I believe). I know nothing of CNC controls or have I ever worked with a CNC machine. I want some software I can play with to make sure my new contraption will work before I spend hundred on building the machine. Any suggestions for a free program or good trial software that will allow me to learn a little about CAM and CNC process? I am really wanting to turn barley twists and indexing cuts (flutes) I am an engineer and understand CAD well. but CAM and CNC not so much. any info would be greatly appreciated.

You can get a evaluation version of Solidcam from their website. It won't generate NC though, you can only play around with the operations. But that can teach you quite a bit.

Thing is, I don't know if it will run without Solidworks. But it's free to try.

I don't know of any wood lathe specific CAM software out there. The trial of MeshCAM will do 4 axis code from an .stl file, and the trial of Mach3 will show you how it will run. You may find that indexed flutes would be best coded by hand, and perhaps the twist as well, for the most efficient machining.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Here's what I did

I'm still new but don't , 4 axis and software = thousands

I started with Mach 2 ,sheet cam and mesh cam demos played with those
    Then I bought the xylotec 3 axis set, put a drawing in and watched as the motors spun , then I built the z axis repeated the above then made the y axis to hook that to then in a weekend threw together a x axis to put the whole mess on.

I did this so I had a understanding of how this whole process works at every step.

Oh and religiously spent hours/days/weeks/ months glued to cnc zone .

That was the most important part, the knowledge these guys have , allowed me to complete my router and actually be able to use it.

So in short , the answers you seek are probably here

Oh Almost forgot , mesh cam takes stls pretty good had no luck with dxf.

"MOI" is beta testing free for now ware , that is easy to use and outputs stl's that mechcam can use.

Welcome to the zone

Dave

Thanks for the input. I will try to download some software and check it out. I plan on getting the software and playing then buying a xylotex four axis and playing some more.

I would really like to understand how to hand code any good suggestion on how to learn. I did some computer programming in college. Q basic and fortan mostly. I've never seen CNC code... suggestions?

Well, I am a software developer by day. I've done some G coding already but it's incredibly repetitive and error-prone without an IDE. If I were to do any serious NC programs without CAM software, I would write my own program to generate G code for me from simpler or more verbose commands. Essentially creating my own post-processor which is what the CAM packages do.

The real benefit of using another language, is you can use that language's features, objects, functions, etc. If your controller supports it, you can use macros in G code but it only a marginal remedy. If you are experienced with another language, I would suggest you write your own G code generator.

Cheers.

I hand code a lot of my stuff, it's not difficult. There is a nice summary of Gcode commands in the TurboCNC manual (http://www.dakeng.com/), and it's free.