www.hobbycnc.com
    305 oz motors diy package
    I'm hearing lots about the hobbycnc , not as much about the XYLOTEX
    package
    any thoughts
    Woodguy

woodguy - welcome aboard!
    It seems both have their fans (or detractors?)! Are you:
    1. Willing to build a kit? hobbycnc might be you answer - less money as you get to do the labor, or
    2. Want plug and play? Xyoltex of the 2 choices.

You didn't say your plans - but as this post is in DIY router table - I'll take that as the plan. Just something to consider -- if you ever want to get a 4th axis set up going with the table - you might consider buying a 4 axis board at the get-go. You don't have to use the 4th axis right away - but its cost advantage becomes obvious downstream if you do want it -- Xylotex doesn't have a single axis card at this time.

Read the Xylotex pages closely. Jeff does a pretty good job of pointing out the difference between the 300+ and 400+ motors. You'll want to know what sort of speeds and torque you'd be dealing with -- and consider that when making a choice between the 2 boards.

I considered the hobbycnc - but not yet ready to break out the solder gun. There have been some posts regarding (some disappointments added) with the boards - but you see that with many things.

Unfortunately you can't get on the Xylotex forum (Yahoo) until you own one. (OOPS I stand corrected! Thanks LBJ)

I have 2 3 axis boards Xylotex (just got the second last week) and am building a multi-axis set up. Jeff has been very helpful in the process.

Hope that helps some - just one user's opinion.
    :cheers: Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

High Seas, I think it is the hobbycnc forum you can't join unless you have purchased something from him.

I joined the Xylotex yahoo forum without purchasing anything on his site.

woodguy,

I started considering building a cnc router over a year ago, have had to put it on hold for a number of reasons, but in the mean time I have read anything that I can find about cnc. I am now in a position to start building or buy a desktop router and converting a small mill to cnc. Xylotex and Gecko will get my $$.

Don’t let the idea of soldering parts to a board put you off if you want the hobbyncnc board.

Back in the days of Heathkit’s I put together a 25 inch color tv and a digital clock and a bunch of kits in-between, and I know nothing about electronics. As long as you get a good soldering iron and take your time it is a no-brainer. Helps to have real clear instructions, which heathkits did.

Hi and congrats on your upcoming build!

I went with the HobbyCNC because Im in Europe and Xylotex at the time wasn't RoHS compliant (Dont know if it is now). Anyway, I was nervous about the soldering, but once I got into it it went fine. One or two minor hiccups but Dave at HobbyCNC was fantastic, and I got through it in the end. It was very enjoyable putting it together. I recently added in a 4th axis to it too. I wouldn't be too worried about the soldering if your willing to give it a go.

If you don't want to solder then theres a guy in the HobbyCNC forum on yahoo (No you can't join before purchase) who I'm sure Dave at HCNC (If u email him) will put you in touch with. He'll put your kit together for you for around $50, and HCNC will certify his work.

If you want a closer look at the HCNC board, here's the thread I did when I bought it first:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25504
    ( Ignore the whole username thing! )

The HCNC kit is a workhorse once its put together. Mine is caked in dust the past year, and still plugging away fine.

Not sure what part of the country you are in but may be able to help. I built the 4 axis Hobbycnc pro board (new one) and have a bit of trouble which is not the board or Dave's fault. Was running great until I played around with the electronics and let the smoke out. Dave has parts in the mail for me and his support is also good. I purchased mine for a foam cutter to learn cnc and am next going to convert my mill/drill using the 305 steppers. The question that comes to mind is would I buy it again. Yes and probably will for the conversion as the original idea of switching the system to different machines is what got me in trouble. If you don't bleed down that big cap before doing something it will give you instant smoke.
    If you have a bit of soldering experiance they are easy to build. The board is through hole plated so it is easy to check for poor connections. I could also build it for you at no charge. I am medically retired and need to keep myself busy and my mind off the problem I have. I have also built quite a few Heath kits, 5 radios, a freq. counter and scope for starters. Don't know if they are still in business but I enjoyed building there kits.
    John

woodguy

Thanks to all

Many good ideas, and thoughts.
    If I'm reading posts right there is nothing wrong or negative about either package, and upfront cost is the difference. I did read about the speed vs torque, for the larger sizes ,will have to give this some thought. I will buy the 4 axis kit which ever one I buy just in case. Will post pics of my build and let you know which electronic package I buy. (but like I tell my wife, I'll get to it soon)
    WOODGUY

If you go with the HCNC kit and dont need the 4th axis immediately and you want to save the few $ right now, then just get the 3Axis pro Kit. You can solder in a 4th axis later in a few minutes. I bought the 3Axis last year, and added in a 4th axis a few weeks ago. HCNC sells a 4th Axis upgrade. Soldering in the 4th axis is a minor adjustment.

HobbyCNC

I have purchased 2 of the HobbyCNC boards. These are high quality boards that go together easily, with decent instuctions.

Typically the Hobbycnc will give a better rapids performance than the Xylotex if you take advantage of the higher supply voltage. If you run them both at 24V on the same motors, the Xylotex will give better performance.
    Phil, Still too many interests, too many projects, and not enough time!!!!!!!!
    Vist my websites - http://pminmo.com & http://millpcbs.com

woodguy

Can you clarify Pminmo?

Have read the writeups on both, ini vs bi polar.
    For a 12" by 24" desktop wood cutting machine would you look at one more closley than the other?
    In other words what might one not be able to do vs the other eg. thickness of cut , max top speed.
    I'm trying to avoided buying one package and then thinking oopps, wish I had gone the other way. I am not going to make a bunch of widgets, more likely one offs eg. clock gears maybe some type of engraveing or texturing on a box top.
    Woodguy

Woodguy,
    Bipolar motors all things being equal are stronger. If you buy a 4 wire motor it has to be run bipolar. A six or eight wire motor can be driven either bipolar or unipolar. So take hypothetical motor X, a six wire motor, 1.5A, 7V coil. It can be wired three ways, unipolar, bipolar serial or bipolar half coil. Running the motor with a 24V power supply with a Xylotex gives you a power supply to coil voltage ratio of 3.4 if the motor is wired bipolar series, and a ratio of 6.8 bipolar half coil. The half coil wiring configuration will out perform the series when doing rapids, and generally overall, as that wiring configuration is a much smaller iductance. Now take the hobbycnc board with the same 24V supply, and you have the same motor to supply ratio as half coil, 6.8V and the same motor inductance. But the unipoar configuration will not perform as well because unipolars are less powerfull than bipolars. So where does the hobbycnc catchup? It does when you use a higher power supply voltage because the chips it uses are rated at a higher voltage rating. So for example if you use a supply of 38Vdc, your supply to coil ratio increases to near 11. That will manifest itself in much improved rapids speeds. If you only moving 8" like on a minimill, the slower rapids aren't that big of deal. Moving 4', its more of an issue. If your time or the machines time is of no consequence, then either board will be fine.
    Phil, Still too many interests, too many projects, and not enough time!!!!!!!!
    Vist my websites - http://pminmo.com & http://millpcbs.com