586,108 active members*
3,073 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Question VXB linear bearings

Has anyone ever used or heard anything about the linear rod/rails from VXB bearings? I was looking at the one below to use for a new router.

http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PRO...ystems/Kit7429

Thanks in advance!

I didn't see any tolerance numbers but I would be concerned about grit getting at those bearings.

Very slick though, I like.

Jack

I would not be that concerned about grit because of the rubber dust boots.

These bearings are made to be used in pairs. So. 300 bucks per axis..
    Since light travels faster than sound,people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Im actually planning to buy three and cut them to use on all three axis because Im not building a very large maching. Then I would buy some bearings serperately to complete the other axis.

Thanks for the Link

I'm designing a machine with a 45" x 24" cutting area. The rails and bearing would have cost me >$1000 USD. Buying from VBX, I can get the same thing for ~$650.00 USD.

Thanks

Yep, the price very attractive for me especially because the rails are supported. I know it is possible to get some brand name linear slide rails off of ebay for an even lower price but then you lose the ability to design your machine they way you actually want to.

Just Bought a Set Today

Just bought a set today for my machine. I'll report back when they get here. For anyone who is designing their CNC machine using CAD, these have the same dimentions as the Nordex brand rails and pillow block bearings #AGA-A8-4 and #AJA-A1-17. You can download the 3D CAD files direct from http://www.3dcontentcentral.com/3DCo...l/Default.aspx. It requires registration though (nuts).

MRM
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails nordex-aja-a1-17.jpg   20mm vbx rail guides.jpg  

Thanks for the link. Do you know who actually makes the rails? If not do you suspect the orgin of these linear slides to be from Nordex?

Hard to say without physically seeing them in person. I'm almost positve that they are China made or maybe some out of tolerance Nordex batch.

I bought some of the open bearings (20mm) for my next machine, and was going to use 3/4" CRS as a rail, drilled and tapped every 6 inches. I have 3"x3/8" HR flat that is drilled to bolt to the rods.

I have now found that even though they ride very, very smooth on the CRS, I will have to buy hardened rails to prevent wear issues.
    Luckily VXB sells predrilled and tapped rails in 5' sections.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
    -RedGreen show.

Jusy got off the phone with UPS. I can go pick up the package tonight.

I emailed VBX bearings and asked who makes the rails and this is the response I got.

" They were made specially for VXB, unfortunately, we don't carry any CAD files"

:violin:

I called and asked the same question. They responed like; CAD? CAD?....What is that?

Now I'm really thinking they are made in China by one of the larger (Nordex, THK, etc) sub-contrators. I'll see tonight.

Got My Rails!

First impression is pretty good. The rails are straight and the bearings have no play in the direction of travel. There is about 10 degrees of side-to-side play, but considering they will be mounted to fixed structures; this should not be a problem....I hope. For $150 it's a deal. I'll probably be getting another two sets for the machine I'm designing.

MRM
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P7190069.JPG   P7190071.JPG   P7190073.JPG   P7190074.JPG  

P7190080.JPG   P7190083.JPG  

Just so understand more clearly, do you mean the play as in the axis of rotation in the pic below? I guess Im hoping it is because 10 degrees of play in any other direction could cause a significant inaccuracy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rail.JPG  

Thats right

The play is only in the axis of rotation

Thanks a lot for the information. It is good to know because I have almost finished designing a machine around them.

For what are you going to use your machine? These shafts look very interesting at this price, I am also considering buying them for my cnc but I'm not shure about the load they can handle. Maybe you could post a picture of the machine you are designing to see how you install the shafts.

greets

Im not sure if you were asking me. But this is my machine in the "works."
    Its close but not yet completed. My designing my machine for personal use and I plan to use it to cut parts out for radio controlled models and other stuff. I plan to cut ply wood, balsa wood, foam, fiber glass, maybe carbon fiber. From seeing other peoples results, im pretty sure it will cut aluminum fine (slowly). Id say the limiting factor on my machine is that Im planning to use acme precision rod and dumpstercnc nuts. I just dont need the quality of ballscrews yet. Its not a production machine so I will be taking fairly light cuts.

Btw I did not draw the spindle. I downloaded it from somewhere here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails final machinev2.jpg  

VXB Linear Ball Bushings

I used VXB for all three axis building my machine. I have been running it for about a year with no problems. Accuracy is still perfect. Link to photo of my machine is here...

http://www.artsoftcontrols.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=14[/url]

Page 1 of 2 12