I'm getting ready to build a 4x4 CNC plasma table for our in-house production. But the problem is that I know virtually nothing about plasma cutting. I can build the table and controls, no problem. Done this many times. So this thread is directed at the plasma hardware and cutting process.

I plan on buying a Hypertherm Powermax 45XP plasma unit and a proper machine torch for it. I've not decided on a torch height control yet, or I may build my own integrated into my controls. If I do buy one, it won't be one of the cheap ones on ebay.

Edge finish is the most important to me. The bulk of our production will be 11ga 304 SS. We are currently having these parts laser cut and I would like to achieve similar accuracy (1) and edge finish. There are 1/4'' holes in some of the parts and they come out acceptable on the laser cut parts, I would like to maintain this. It's my understanding that it is somewhat difficult to make small holes with a plasma system.

So this goes out to all of you CNC plasma gurus out there. Because I am not educated enough yet to even know what questions to ask, my main questions at this point are what torch and consumables do I need for fine work? Any tips and tricks are appreciated.

(1) Accuracy is really achieved in the job setup, repeatability is the more important parameter on any machine tool.