Short version:

Can a VFD controlled spindle produce enough torque in the 100-1000rpm range to drill like a power drill or drill press?

Long version:

I frequently find myself doing jobs where I need to accurately drill a number of holes (4-10mm diameter) in wood, MDF or sometimes aluminium or steel, and also 20mm-40mm diameter holes in wood (using Forstner bits). Instead of doing this with a drill press, I'd like to use my CNC machine.

The CNC is a small/medium sized machine (an old K2 KG3925), approx 100kg total, aluminium extrusion frame, running a Porter Cable 890 router (claimed 2 1/4 HP). But, I generally avoid using it for simple drilling tasks as the router is very noisy, and tends to create way more dust than a drill.

With a 10,000 rpm to 23,000 rpm speed range, the PC 890 router is obviously unsuited for drill and Forstner bits, but would a VFD controlled spindle create enough torque in the 100 rpm to 1,000 rpm range? There are a plenty of air cooled spindle + ER collet + VFD packages on eBay, in the 1.5kW to 2.2kW range.

Alternatively, I could buy a cheap 600-1000W corded power drill, and mount it instead of the router, but a spindle would be preferable if it would work well below 1000 rpm.

Anyone got experience of running such spindles at slow speeds?