586,075 active members*
4,224 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Dolphin CAD/CAM > Easiest method to mill equally spaced open ended slots?

Easiest method to mill equally spaced open ended slots?

I need to mill some parallel open ended slots(cooling fins) on an aluminum plate and I'm wondering which machining method in PartMaster Level 3 would be the best to use for this type of job? I have already done it with the slot option in the Level 3 CAM program which allows for multiple depth passes but it seems like this could be done in a much easier manner. I had done it also with the cad program but was having a problem with the Z axis not raising to the clear plane between the rows of slots and it would have done more of a contour cut around each fin, and the ends of the fins would get milled off short in length this way. Thanks in advance for any help I can get for this.
    Wes

Just use a table saw, make sure you have safety glasses on!

a horizontal mill with the correct number and width of saw blades spaced accordingly should work

not to shure what your problem is
    but try extending the gaps between the fins in your cad then do an area clear
    in dolphin
    set the "traverse at clearplane" in your options tab in the area clear box

mike

Hi Metal, I don't know how deep you want to go or the width or thickness of the fins, but assuming they're significantly deep, I.E. 1/8" wide X 1" deep then it is going to take a magic endmill to achieve this.
    Normally you'd mill them with a slotting cutter on a horizontal mill if you have just one to do, moving the cutter across for each slot, but if it's a production run then a gang of cutters are set up, and the part is held in a jig.
    If however you are stuck with a vertical milling spindle then again depending on the quantity, you would slot them with a single slotting cutter and vertical slotting arbor with the job held on an angle plate or jig.
    It would be suicidal to mount multi cutters on a vertical arbor as there is no support for the end which will deflect under load.
    Due to the nature of the job, if it's conventional milling, it would be milled full depth with a slow feed and plenty of coolant, a side cutting slitting saw works best here instead of a plain slitting saw which would tend to get alluminium particals welded to it by the friction of the depth of cut.
    If you're using a CNC setup I assume you would use the single cutter in the vertical spindle and program many shallow passes at a fast feed rate.
    I hope this helps.
    I did a couple of this type in brass for a heat exchanger years ago.
    Ian.

Thanks for all the good tips! I have to apologize for not making my question more clear. I will be milling these parts on my Syil SX3 CNC vertical mill along with some drilling and the final contour of the parts, so I will want to do all the operations in the same setup. The slots are .062 wide and fortunately only .075 deep so I had planned to do multiple passes with a stubby .062 end mill.
    The question I wanted to have answered was what is the best method to use with the Dolphin CAD/CAM software to go about making the program to do this slot milling operation?? I think Mike Jeffers answered this in his response: "do an Area Clear in Dolphin and set traverse at clearplane in options".
    I appreciate all the replies and the information provided in the other replies will be used when planning other similar operations including the ones with deeper slots. I will most likely try to implement those with my horizontal miller. I was basically trying to get it all done in the CNC mill with-out doing several setups in different machines. Thanks again for taking time to post your replies!
    Wes