586,275 active members*
3,125 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

R2E4 won't boot

I am trying to get a Boss 9 working for a friend, it was purchased for $1000.00 condition unknown. I have never operated one newer than a boss 4 so not sure what to expect as far a boot sequence. This one has nothing at all on the CRT unless you press the reset button on the side of the cabinet. At that point it says "Hardware test in progress IDE1" then it starts displaying a list of tests that all end with ok except for the last one: INTS then thats all it does. All the leds are lit on the control panel but pressing buttons or even hitting the emergency stop button doesn't do anything. The logic power supply had failed so I replaced it with one from a pc and the voltages are +5, +12, -10 not perfect but close. 2 of the axis are on the limit switches. Can anyone tell me what to look for or what possibly could be happening? Here is a screen shot http://www.overbeckmachine.com/images/boss9.jpg

Thanks in advance
    Wayne

There is a trouble shooting section in the maintenance manual. I hope you have one. It takes you step by step for every voltage and what the range is. Is this on a phase converter?
    There are a pile of LED lights to aid diagnosis. The FMDC has eight accross the top. The AUF has one just about dead center and the mother board (BSP) has a string of them along the edge facing out. Again, the book would help.
    It sounds as if the EZIO is bit maping the CRT correctly and the BSP is not booting correctly. All those tests are normal, but it does not go on from there.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

R2E4 won't boot

Thank you for the help, I have nothing but 4 schematics, I am on the lookout for service and operation manuals. I am running it on 208 3 phase. Any ideas appreciated, for now I think I will reseat the chips and the boards and double check fuses per suggestions on other similar machines. Any one have the troubleshooting info in pdf, jpg, or faxible format?? I'm reaching but my fax number is 831-423-9363

Thanks again Wayne