When I place a multimeter inline from supply (40v) to load (along positive terminal) I can measure 0.25A draw while stationary and when i initiate a move it spikes up to 1.0A. I believe this is causing my drivers to shut down randomly after a minute or two of usage due to overcurrent or overheat protection.

My questions are:
1. If I increase the voltage output on the power supply, do I need to lower the stepper amp setting to reach the same total wattage? (i.e. 12v x 3.0A = 36w to 24v x 1.5A = 36w).
2. Are stepper drivers always supposed to be set at the steppers rated amperage regardless of voltage? (i.e. 3.0A setting for 3.0A stepper regardless of 24v or 36v supply).
3. Should my drivers shut down if I supply more voltage within their rated specs (9-42VDC) at an amperage it's rated for (3.0A) or does this indicate a faulty/crappy driver?
4. Would you be so kind as to post your power supply output, driver amp setting and stepper voltage/amp rating for reference? (i.e. 36v supply to 3.0A driver to 4.8v/3.0A stepper).

For reference:
The drivers are TB6600 rated 9-42VDC and up to 4.0A.
The steppers are 23HS9430, rated 4.8v at 3.0A.

If I lower the amperage the drivers take longer to shut down. When lowered even further they don't shut down but the machine lacks torque and stalls at minimal speed.
As it is, the machine is unusable in it's current state so any insight or advice would be helpful.
Please feel free to answer one or all questions! Thank you!