Quote Originally Posted by ashes-man View Post
I would like to think I understand basic programming well enough, particularly on the XY plane and typical tool pathing. I am certainly not a master but not completely ignorant. However I want to use this machine beyond simple programming and also be confident that it can do simple operations. I didn't program the big bang in the video, the machine did that on its own free will. I just programmed a basic arc.

It is seeming more and more like the machine just cannot do that arc when tool length compensation is turned on, either by design or due to a bug. Everything else it cannot do it says "error", it doesn't just go off and have a melt down! I do not let it do that bang ever except for that video, I always stop it first. I don't want something getting broken as it may be the end of it!

What I have learnt so far:
- All the manuals for every machine I have read say what I want to do is possible.
- All the g code simulators I have tried say the same.
- My router will do this fine with tool length compensation turned on (Mach 3)
- Other experienced machinists I know say it should do it.
- Some machines allow you to select between tool length compensation on Z axis only or any axis. My machine seems to have no parameter to change this.
- This suggests there is nothing wrong with the g code I have been using

What I haven't done
- Read the programming manual for my machine as I don't have it yet (few more weeks away).
- Had someone else actually run the code on another, preferably older Mazak machine
Cutter comp is not something you even need to use, so I'm not sure why you need it in your program, and keep trying to run it, if it has a problem with it, this could also just be how you have the cutter comp formatted for your control, without using cutter comp, you run the part measure it, if it needs another pass you can then adjust the Z axes no cutter comp needed this is basic programing then you have it set for the next part as well

Mach3 will run anything you throw at it, this was by design for non programmer's, so don't go by what Mach3 will run that means very little

Using cutter comp for Z axis is almost never used, as this is just a simple Z axis tool length adjustment that you can do while it is running in most controls

You need to rethink your need for Z axis cutter comp and for what purpose you need it for, as it is not needed for the Z axis adjustments