I have a new (2020) VF2 that we initially put in my garage shop. My rotary isn't working right, the power here sucks, and I've decided to cut losses and rent a new shop with 200A 3-phase nearby.

Unfortunately my Z-axis head is all the way up at the toolchange height, so I absolutely need that spindle back down at the shipping height (with the cradle under the head) to get it out the door and to drive it down the road. So my question is, knowing that the MiniMill and TM can run on single-phase, is there an easy way to hook up just the standard two single phase legs from my panel to the control cabinet in the same way, turn on the machine, and hand jog the spindle down into the red cradle?

I would love to just experiment with it, but then I have a lot of disconnecting to do from the current 3-phase setup, so I'm seeking some feedback before I even attempt. I could also see the cabinet or the control really reacting badly if I try it on a 3-ph only machine. There's obviously no documentation on how to do this that I've found (as why would anyone ever want to move the axis without also running the spindle ) So wondering if anyone happens to know what would happen. Does it just detect a lack of voltage on one leg and shut down?

I'll also be trying to contact Haas about this, but would like to know if this is a no-brainer thing I'm overthinking.

Another backup is take my 3hp 3-ph manual lathe motor and make a rudimentary RPC out of it (I currently run that on a VFD). I figure a 3hp idler would be cake to run with some scavenged caps on a breadboard, and put out enough power to get the machine to turn on and move the axis around. But that's also a bit of a project.

Lastly might be able to rent a 3-phase generator somehow for an hour. Not sure who around here would have such a thing.

Any thoughts? Thanks!