Hello all, for the last few years I have been designing a CNC machine that has the following features:
- spindle is powerful enough to be used for steel milling using typical end mills size and speeds/feeds as per tool manufacturer recommendation.
- easy to build with no special instruments, however it can produce components within 4 thou (0.1mm) tolerance.
- the machine size and the work envelope can be easily customized.
- low weight, on wheels, in order to be easily moved to a different location or inside a shop.
- the Z axis containing the processing head can be exchanged in order to use the machine for multiple manufacturing processes: milling, laser cutting, carving, etc, etc
- it can accommodate any motion card, CAM software or operating system (Linux or Windows)
- ATC with 5-10 tools
-vibrations produced during machining will not have an impact on the machine performance, maintenance or lifecycle.

Recently I have finish the prototype and posted the frame CAD files on Grabcad https://grabcad.com/library/powerful...teel-milling-1
During the prototype build iterations I have tested and recorded the vibrations levels for milling aluminium and steel. I will follow up with more vibration measurements shortly.