586,067 active members*
5,119 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Setting Up an X3 in Mach

I now have my cnc fusion kit installed and running (2 axis for now), and I am lost on the settings in mach 3. I have the original ball screws installed for now. Does anyone have these settings handy and would they be so kind to share?

Also, I can't get the motor on the z axis to work. I think I wired it up correctly. It has 8 wires, and I connected it in parallel. Is this correct?

Please help if you can.
    When all is said and done, more is said than done.

first of all, z axis. check to see if motor locks. if it locks, you have probably wired it ok.

setup depends upon the driver.

on my setup, first of all, make sure port is setup right and pins are assigned correctly. after that, make sure current and micro step is setup to what you want. I have it setup as 1/4 step, which would be 4000steps per inch in your case . (.2" /turn on ball screw) speed and acceleration depends upon stepper, but start with 30IPM on velocity and 2"/sec on the accel. you can move these up as you test them. (get it highest velocity you can move without losing steps and reduce by 20% for final jog speed.

I have it locking up now, but when it goes to turn. It just humms or whines. Even when I am not trying to jog the motor is buzzes. I have never used this motor before, it is (was) new in Jan. ANy ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by bryanrabb View Post
    I have it locking up now, but when it goes to turn. It just humms or whines. Even when I am not trying to jog the motor is buzzes. I have never used this motor before, it is (was) new in Jan. ANy ideas?
    Steppers do hiss when idle - it sounds a bit like running water to me.

Do you know that you have step/direction signals getting to your stepper drivers - do they have LED's on them or have you probed with a 'scope?

It's going to be hard for anyone to tell you what ports/pins to use unless you tell us how your breakout board is wired...

I am using a Xylotex board. There are no LED's and don't own a scope. THe motor makes a whinning noise when I jog.

I am using a Xylotex board. There are no LED's and don't own a scope. THe motor makes a whinning noise when I jog.
    If I were you, I'd remove the motor from the mill, and work on getting it spinning on your bench. Once that works, bolt it back on the mill.

I have had problems with my steppers where one of the wires has come unplugged, which causes the motor to simply oscillate and buzz - have you checked your wiring?

OK. The motor will spin off of the machine. However, I can stop it with one finger. Is that normal? 600 oz stepper on a xylotex board, that just doesn't sound right. Also, the x and y were moving smoothly, now the x binds up and the y will only move in one direction. These motors work for other x3 owners on the stock screws. I have a feeling that I have several issues going on here, and that geckos and ball screws wouldn't fix it. Any ideas?

OK. The motor will spin off of the machine. However, I can stop it with one finger. Is that normal? 600 oz stepper on a xylotex board, that just doesn't sound right. Also, the x and y were moving smoothly, now the x binds up and the y will only move in one direction. These motors work for other x3 owners on the stock screws. I have a feeling that I have several issues going on here, and that geckos and ball screws wouldn't fix it. Any ideas?
    What is the current limit set to on the driver board? IMHO you shouldn't be able to stall it if it's set correctly.

i was tooling around with it today, and now i get nothing out of the board. It doesn't lock up the motors when I turn on the power. The light on the board still comes on, but nothing works. I guess i will get some geckos now.