586,076 active members*
3,768 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > 304 Stainless Steel Toolpath Advice

304 Stainless Steel Toolpath Advice

I haven't machined 304 stainless before. I know it can work harden, so I have to make sure I don't take light cuts. My stock is 0.09" thick plate. I need to cut out a few pieces that are about 1" square. I plan to enter into the piece from the side at full depth (since it's only 0.09" thick). I have a Lakeshore Carbide 3/16" 5-flute end mill for stainless (P/N 4220316). I'll use my fogbuster (I don't have flood coolant setup). I'd like to know if I should go with an adaptive toolpath that takes lots of short curved cuts, or just a contour toolpath. I know the adaptive will take a lot longer, but that doesn't matter to me. See attached screenshots:
    "You can't teach stuff in a school that you would learn in real life unless the real life people are in charge of the school." - Gene Sherman

Re: 304 Stainless Steel Toolpath Advice

If you want the endmill to last and want to be able to run unattended go with the adaptive.

I have slotted in 303 before but it's hard to get the chip out.(w/ air blast/mist or flood) so don't feel confident to walk away.

I use a carbide corncob style 4flt endmill and have taken up to half cutter diam(3/16) radial cut without issue.

Looking at your pic, I'm assuming you'll not plunge into the material in the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by BIRDTOOL View Post
    If you want the endmill to last and want to be able to run unattended go with the adaptive.

I have slotted in 303 before but it's hard to get the chip out.(w/ air blast/mist or flood) so don't feel confident to walk away.

I use a carbide corncob style 4flt endmill and have taken up to half cutter diam(3/16) radial cut without issue.

Looking at your pic, I'm assuming you'll not plunge into the material in the corner.
    Thanks for the info. No, I'm not going to plunge into the material at the corner, I still need to tweak the toolpath a bit.
    "You can't teach stuff in a school that you would learn in real life unless the real life people are in charge of the school." - Gene Sherman

I did a test using the adaptive clearing toolpath, it worked great.