586,075 active members*
3,870 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Setting up Z axis tool holder height above table

Setting up Z axis tool holder height above table

My first router table will use a free Roto-zip tool.

It's basically a much more powerful and larger version of a dremel tool.

My Z axis will have 4 inches of travel.
    I am not sure how high off the table surface I should make the Z Axis tool holder.

If I had a 2 inch long drill bit in my rotozip, I would have to start with the Z axis lower so I can reach the workpiece.
    If I had a 4 inch long drill bit in my rotozip, I would have to start with the Z axis higher.
    Then there's the workpiece surface height to consider.
    I guess I have to decide what the maximum height of a workpiece material will be?

It would be nice to be able to slide the RotoZip up or down and relock on the Z axis tool holder for different height tools.
    My brain is spinning trying to figure out where a good place to fix my Z axis tool holder.

Any suggestions on what the real world operating conditions would be, typical tool lengths, etc.
    How have other people set up their z axis tool holder heights above the table surface?

Thanks for any help.

I figured out a bunch of stuff today with some help from the guys over on the Cambam forum.
    http://www.forum.cambam.org/index.php

Walt came up with a cool idea on how to make the Z axis tool mount, slide up and down.

Got a few web page of info on the build so far at this link.
    http://www.el34world.com/Misc/Cnc/CNC0.htm

Adjustable Z is nice, and I read your posts on the other forum - interesting concepts.

I am struggling with this same challenge. I looked at some industrial metal cutting mills - essentially, they move the table / work piece up to the working envelope of the tooling. This made me think it might be easier just to have some standardized "spacer boards" that fit between the table and wood to lift it up when I need to reach with short bits. Just an idea - have no experience with it yet.

Yes, I suppose you can raise your table work surface.

You would have to have some sort of milled, super flat surface plates that you could stack up and some way to bolt tham all down to the non moveable table surface.

My table surface is going to be 30 inches x 12 inches so I probably am better off going with the adjustable z axis.

Thanks for the info.