586,076 active members*
3,702 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > Should CAM software generate circular interpolation?
Page 1 of 2 12

Question Should CAM software generate circular interpolation?

Apologies for posting this problem again, but I was not getting much response in the Mastercam forum. I want to open this question up in a general sense.

Basically, I am using Mastercam and it is generating a bunch of tiny linear moves to resolve arcs. I think this is messing up the finish on my parts because my TM-1 shakes around theses "linear equivalents" to arcs and the effective feedrate goes way down (while the control says it is the same).

It seems to me that the post should be generating circular interpolation commands. But I don't know for sure - I don't have enough experience in CNC/CAM.

Is this G-Code output consisting of only linear moves and the resulting machine behavior normal?

Thanks.

Btw, in these photos the pockets did have a finishing pass while the corner profile did not.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Full Part.jpg   Bottom Pocket.jpg   Corner.jpg  

If you go to the Haas website www.Haascnc.com you will find a link to the CNC Magazine put out by Haas. Some time around 1 or 2 years ago one of the articles, maybe a series of articles describing CAM and how to optimize the code.

It mentions about the many linear moves and how you can control the size of the straight line move and it also mentions tool path filtering which can help regenerate circular moves.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Mastercam should be generating Arcs for these not Line Segments. I think your Post Processor needs some modifications.

Also, with my short stint with MCV9 and MCX I found that MC takes Arc Geometry that is Imported and turns them into Splines.

I forgot what was done to fix this issue, Sorry
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

if you use the mpfan post it should give you arcs
    mastercam will normally post line segments on arcs when ramping but on a normal path it shouldn t, well , from my minimal exp anyhow

it almost looks to me like chatter or the feeds too high ,or the speeds too slow ,there appears to be the same marks on the side of the flang across the flat ,it usually becomes more ponounced when cornering

The flat along the outer edge there (pic 3) is just an optical illusion, it's actually quite smooth as it was face milled.

My chip per tooth was .0083 and my feeds and speed were as high as I could get on this mill. This is just machinable wax, I was using a 4 flute 1/2" carbide around those outer 3/8 radius corners.

I'm reading through all the haas cnc mags... Haven't found anything yet, but have read other interesting stuff.

This is the one I was thinking of:

http://www.haascnc.com/CNCMag/PDF/v10i34.pdf

If these are G2 and G3 moves then I'd guess it is interpolated. There may also be a setting in MC or the machines parameters that tells the machine to use constant velocity around corners.

DC

Thanks Geof, good stuff. I will play around with the cut tolerance and the filtering.

It definitely was not using G2/G3. You could see it running through many lines of XY coords around the corner of the profile.

You should be getting g2's and g3's in your post. if the settings or the post is the issue, then I can't help.

If it's the drawing, and you know the radii, you can erase one line segment or curve at a time and redraw it from the endpoints left after erasing the segment. This will give you lines that mastercam can work with. i have had to do this with imported files.

I always use HSS 2 flutes at max spindle speed on aluminum, or softer materials. It's cheaper, and you actually get a better finish most of the time. With a 4 flute the chips can get caught up in the flutes and ground back into the part.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenfab View Post
    I always use HSS 2 flutes at max spindle speed on aluminum, or softer materials. It's cheaper, and you actually get a better finish most of the time. With a 4 flute the chips can get caught up in the flutes and ground back into the part.
    Frankenfab,

This is what I keep telling an individual at work about 4 Flute Emills in Alm but he doesn't listen. He would be better off with 3 Flutes 60 degree Helix.

BTW, Cool Handle, now all you need is an Avatar to go with it.

M30,

Have you gotten any closer to resolving your line segment issue? I remember now that Frankenfab mentioned it. You will have to import the Wire Frame Geometry into Mastercam as a DXF File to get Arcs from the G-Code. If you use Iges, Step or ant other it will Post Line Segments.

Cheers!!!!!!!!:cheers:
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Are you planning on making one or many? If it is many and the many is hundreds you should consider hand coding it. To make it simple you would need to do a minor redesign of the angle fillet between the boss and the flange; make this is radius fillet and then you can run around the boss with a big ball end.

A hand coded program will run faster than a CAM program and much smoother.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    Are you planning on making one or many? If it is many and the many is hundreds you should consider hand coding it. To make it simple you would need to do a minor redesign of the angle fillet between the boss and the flange; make this is radius fillet and then you can run around the boss with a big ball end.

A hand coded program will run faster than a CAM program and much smoother.

Your always throwing out those better methods of doing things LOL . This is true in many respects, but if he is trying to learn how to use a CAD/CAM it kind of defeats the purpose of his question LOL

The choice is ultimately his though.

Smile it's Saturday:cheers:
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Quote Originally Posted by tobyaxis View Post
    ..... if he is trying to learn how to use a CAD/CAM it kind of defeats the purpose of his question LOL

The choice is ultimately his though.

Smile it's Saturday:cheers:
    If someone does not know enough about G coding to know whether something could be hand coded then they should not learning CAD/CAM.

The name of the game is "Make Money not parts". The most efficient method should be used to make any part and the most efficient method is the one that involves the least capital outlay and takes the shortest time from when the part is first considered to when the final part is taken out of the machine.

If someone does not know enough about G coding to know whether something could be hand coded then they should not learning CAD/CAM.

The name of the game is "Make Money not parts". The most efficient method should be used to make any part and the most efficient method is the one that involves the least capital outlay and takes the shortest time from when the part is first considered to when the final part is taken out of the machine.
    Right Again Geof

It is always good to know how to Write G-Code Manually but if a company spent lots of $$$ on Software they will want to test on the easier things before jumping ahead to the complex ones.

I do see exactly what you mean though. One must learn how to Manually Edit and Write G-Code from Scratch first before learning any CAD/CAM.

Ultimately it is up to the employer at the company as to what they want. There again there isn't any thing stopping an employee from learning G-Code at home after hours.

Cheers!!!!!!
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

hey guys. Thanks for the responses. On vacation w/ my girlfriend - she'd kill me if she knew i was online.

I read that article in CNC magazine, and the filtering and cut tolerances did the trick. Btw, i can program by hand but these parts are usually one-offs. I'd much rather spend my time on design an r&d than g-code. But i'm trying to learn the trade thoroughly so I can be effeciant and machine parts within tolerances - I have a lot to learn!

Quote Originally Posted by M30 View Post
    hey guys. Thanks for the responses. On vacation w/ my girlfriend - she'd kill me if she knew i was online.

I read that article in CNC magazine, and the filtering and cut tolerances did the trick. Btw, i can program by hand but these parts are usually one-offs. I'd much rather spend my time on design an r&d than g-code. But i'm trying to learn the trade thoroughly so I can be effeciant and machine parts within tolerances - I have a lot to learn!
    Let her know you went online and if she doesn't kill you keep her and turn her into a wife . If she does kill you I guess your options become limited.

Quote Originally Posted by M30 View Post

Can you post the Link for the CNC Magazine? There is a lot to learn in this Trade. That is what keeps it interesting. Plus guys like Geof LOL.:rainfro:
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Quote Originally Posted by tobyaxis View Post
    Can you post the Link for the CNC Magazine? There is a lot to learn in this Trade. That is what keeps it interesting. Plus guys like Geof LOL.:rainfro:
    Good grief don't you have a scroll wheel on your mouse????? Scroll up to Post #6.(chair)

Good grief don't you have a scroll wheel on your mouse????? Scroll up to Post #6.(chair)
    Sorry, my scroll finger was sleeping LOL
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

This is very interesting because we have been using SURFCAM to generate clutch plate profiles, which works great 99.99% of the time. but it just seems that on the one part that you do not want any problems from is the one that comes out with the tiny linear lines where the circular interpolation has been generated by the software.

And ok, I dont want a little green circle by my posts why cant I have the large black dragon huh?

Page 1 of 2 12