Hi,

Completely unsure where to put this as I am not sure exactly where the issue lays.... I have built a DIY cnc machine that somewhere along the way became much larger and more expensive than a first time builder should have done.
The unit is about 1.8m x 2m using clearpath SDSK motors and running an Centroid Acorn control board.

My issue is the Z axis constantly reporting motor trouble and faulting out, the cable is 6m long shielded and designed for servo systems. The motor reports [error 73: Step Input Timing Error]
I have checked the cable at both ends and replaced the connectors, I have had an earth rod installed at the shed and run new ground wire with a star point ground in the machine. I only receive this error on this cable, none of the others.
I get the error when acorn is running at 100k, 200k and 400k pulses a second.
The motor has been disconnected from any load, no change in error.
The error happens randomly, BUT if I connect the cable shielding to the ground plate the fault happens within a few seconds. I have checked the cable lines and the shield, there are no shorts on any of them.

The VFD is not even powered on, so no noise from that.

I realize that I am rambling and much of this probably won't help, I am just clutching at straws as I have been trying to fix this issue for a month now by myself and had very little luck.

I appreciate any and all help or insights that are provided.

Daniel.