I am presently upgrading my mill to 4 axis.

On the spindle head (Z axis), I am going to add a diamond wheel grinder.

Right now I am not too sure how to scan an existing cam profile (from an engine intake/exhaust camshaft) into the system.

I am using a 2500 CPR encoder on the A Axis. so I would like to take a measurement for up to each of the 10000 steps in a 360 degrees rotation by a linear encoder head putting out a signal onto the encoder input of the DeskCNC controller card (same as used as feedback for the lathe spindle application). The output of this linear encoder (I still have to purchase it) has a resolution in the 0.001mm range. Then I would like to graph the resulting cam profile, eventually modify it and then produce a G code file to grind another camshaft lobe based on it. The grind is done just by rotating tha A axis and moving the grinding wheel on the Z axis. No need to move the X axis for it.

Is it actually possible to do so ? I could not find any hint on the docs. Available on the web. If yes, is there somewhere a similar application I could use for reference ?
Until now I can only find samples of scans done with the touch probe connected to the Lim input but I am afraid this method is not as accurate as if I go for the linear encoder even though I already got 2 sets of the IMservice touch probe. Also in the literature nothing hints about using the touch probe for parts rotating on the A axis.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A Axis with GX Cam r2.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	41427

Thanks in advance for nay hint.

Paraprop

Daniel