586,075 active members*
4,081 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > What is the best 3D CAM Software?

View Poll Results: What is the best 3D CAM software?

Voters
577. You may not vote on this poll
  • Catia

85 14.73%
  • Cimatron

37 6.41%
  • Esprit

47 8.15%
  • Mastercam

289 50.09%
  • One CNC

49 8.49%
  • Surfcam

70 12.13%
Page 13 of 27 3111213141523

cam software

Mike you seem to be an expert here, and I will admit I am new to the site, so maybe you can point me to the

"Help me find programming software for my Mori seiki NT." Thread, maybe there will be some intelligentand usefull answers/advice given..

Thanks for your help...

No problem go here: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=387 and start a new thread.

The cardinal rule for software demos is
    ALWAYS MAKE THEM DO YOUR WORK NOT THE CANNED DEMO!!!
    If they have trouble doing your work from your data source so will you.
    Be carefull what you wish for, you might get it.

I agree demo parts always look brilliant. It's when you use a "real world" part that imperfections will show up.

Started in 2000 with Cimatron whent to Esprit in 2004. Used Gibbs Cam 2005 to 2008. Recently bought ONE CNC and need to learn how to use it. Do my design work in Solid Works. Is Catia CAM or CAD?

All CAMs do essentially the same (generate tool paths), differences being 2 1/2D, 3D, Lathes, EDM, 4
    & 5 axis milling. Big thing is whether or not you get training or have help when you get stuck. They will all get you where you need to go you just have to become profficient at using them. You would like certain elements of each and wish you could write your own software with some of each in it.

Will do Solid Modeling in Solid Works for you if needed. Reasonable rates.

Email:
    [email protected]

Catia is PLM (Product Life Management) software. Full CAD/CAM is just a "part" of it.

software

Mike, your exactly right, catia is wonderful for modeling, finite analysis, and modifying your model is great, coverting your model to a blue print is easy, it does not like blended radii or incomplete/partial radii. The CAM module is very weak, now it will do a complex airfoil utilizing all 5 axis and it will do a simple 3 axis mill process ok, programs for milling simple pockets or circles are huge point to point programs, although it works it is not optimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastercam User View Post
    It's a shame that we don't read more comparisons of Mastercam X2 to UG NX CAM. I think it would be very helpful to know what areas UG NX CAM has it all over Mastercam. From what I can tell UG NX lathe is much better than Mastercam lathe and so is UG NX CAM solid verification, which works on G-code and not an internal CAM file. On E-Mastercam all I ever read is how hard UG NX is for simple stuff and I have a very hard time believing this is still true. I heard that a new version of UG NX is going to be released in June. I think the price of the UG CAM Express version (without the UG CAD but the exact same CAM as NX) is about the same price as Mastercam is. Don't know if that's true or not.
    Jon Banquer, you've never once in your life touched UGNX. Of course, that's never stopped you before from blabbering constantly and comparing products you don't understand and won't ever use.

Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Most parametric based Cam systems do very well at converting CAD Solid Models into Cam output. The software vote choices leave out some of the best systems for milling in 3D and 5 axes routines.

At the moment for speed and ease of use as physically demonstrated at some of the trade shows, software such as PowerMill and edgeCAM will outstrip the performance of many of the legacy softwares like CATIA, UG's NX, and other older CAM systems like MasterCAM etc.

High speed machining modules in packages like PowerMill with raceway ,trochoidal, dynamic tool load calculations, etc. are the most advanced routines available.

When it comes to simple things like drilling and tapping holes as well as simple profiles on surfaces or solids then a lot of systems become very awkward with many including Powermill and the likes of CATIA etc.
    Mastercam and other CAM packages do well at the simpler routines that we use everyday.

Some systems have extreme flexibility that allow the most unusual options to be available such as the ability to program a 3x milling machine that has no tapping g-code (G84) to be emulated.

Very few people here will have tried and have the experience to compare all these packages as all of you will know one release of the next version can make all the difference, therefore how can you compare masterCAM X used in 2003 to say CamWorks 2008, or Anvil Express 2.0 (1997) with say UG's NX5 or Pro/Engineer?, the proof is in seeing this stuff in action and for you to come to your own opinion !!! and what suits your budget too.

The other thing is, not so much how easy it is to use as to how easy it is to learn!!!
    Lack of documentation and I mean real learning material such as on-line assistance will never allow you to get the most out of a mediocre system or a great system.

Best Regards, Allen

Victoria University.

Quote Originally Posted by AllenCAM View Post
    Most parametric based Cam systems do very well at converting CAD Solid Models into Cam output. The software vote choices leave out some of the best systems for milling in 3D and 5 axes routines.

At the moment for speed and ease of use as physically demonstrated at some of the trade shows, software such as PowerMill and edgeCAM will outstrip the performance of many of the legacy softwares like CATIA, UG's NX, and other older CAM systems like MasterCAM etc.

High speed machining modules in packages like PowerMill with raceway ,trochoidal, dynamic tool load calculations, etc. are the most advanced routines available.

When it comes to simple things like drilling and tapping holes as well as simple profiles on surfaces or solids then a lot of systems become very awkward with many including Powermill and the likes of CATIA etc.
    Mastercam and other CAM packages do well at the simpler routines that we use everyday.

Some systems have extreme flexibility that allow the most unusual options to be available such as the ability to program a 3x milling machine that has no tapping g-code (G84) to be emulated.

Very few people here will have tried and have the experience to compare all these packages as all of you will know one release of the next version can make all the difference, therefore how can you compare masterCAM X used in 2003 to say CamWorks 2008, or Anvil Express 2.0 (1997) with say UG's NX5 or Pro/Engineer?, the proof is in seeing this stuff in action and for you to come to your own opinion !!! and what suits your budget too.

The other thing is, not so much how easy it is to use as to how easy it is to learn!!!
    Lack of documentation and I mean real learning material such as on-line assistance will never allow you to get the most out of a mediocre system or a great system.

Best Regards, Allen

Victoria University.
    You think PowerMill and edgeCAM will outstrip the performance of many of the legacy softwares like CATIA, UG's NX? Sorry but I think that Siemens NX6 is the greatest CAD/CAM system in the world. I'm using it now and it is the best thing I've ever seen. If you haven't tried it you don't know.

Post Features that should be in a good 3D CAM system.

Mike,

When it comes to CAM output, a system should be able to handle any process of this function with full graphical changability and editability on the fly. During the CAM generation process also being able insert postprocessor coding on the fly.

Other features are to be able to backplot from CNC g-code to generate actual usable 3D geometry (reverse engineering).

To be able to Toolpath Verify in dynamic solids for collision detection of any part of the setup, tool or machine component from CNC g-code output not the intermediate CL-file.

To be able to import a 3D model that had the same features to a similar pre-machined part that with a click of one function will transfer all that intelligence to machine that part in seconds and be able to modify tooling if necessary.

To be able to dynamically warp the model like playdough while toolpaths change dynamically with it.

And be able to use a digitizer to capture template shapes from existing components that have no dimensions.

If Siemens NX6 can do all these functions as part of its supplied software and not need add ons then I humbly apologize.

Allen.

Victoria University.

Allen,

NX6 does all of that and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stevenson View Post
    Siemens NX6 is the greatest CAD/CAM system in the world. I'm using it now and it is the best thing I've ever seen. If you haven't tried it you don't know.
    That's right. Because when you're the guy that can
    program a part in Catia or Cimatron in 15 minutes that would take 40 hours of Mastercam programming to equal.
    you are the definitive word in all that is or ever will be CAD/CAM.

:rainfro:
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by Rekd View Post
    That's right. Because when you're the guy that can you are the definitive word in all that is or ever will be CAD/CAM.

:rainfro:
    Thank you for your helpful comments.

Hypermill or Tebis is the best - but they are quite expensive

pardon my gramma by the way :-)

Mike,

I'm wondering how you have NX6. It's not supposed to be released until the end of this month. We are a fairly big customer of Siemens, as we design, cam and use Team Center Engineering, and we don't even have the beta version yet.
    Hey, why's it going over there?!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cammotion View Post
    Mike,

I'm wondering how you have NX6. It's not supposed to be released until the end of this month. We are a fairly big customer of Siemens, as we design, cam and use Team Center Engineering, and we don't even have the beta version yet.
    You're right I have NX5 at this moment. I am axiously awaiting it's arrival just like you are.

I think UG_NX is the best cam software ,i'm using it now, it's powerful in solidmodel .

Page 13 of 27 3111213141523