586,075 active members*
4,127 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > What is the best 3D CAM Software?

View Poll Results: What is the best 3D CAM software?

Voters
577. You may not vote on this poll
  • Catia

85 14.73%
  • Cimatron

37 6.41%
  • Esprit

47 8.15%
  • Mastercam

289 50.09%
  • One CNC

49 8.49%
  • Surfcam

70 12.13%
Page 22 of 27 122021222324
    NO UG CAM

Question Best CAM new miiler

I am buying a Haas TM 3P miller for our firm.Apart from a Colchester 1460XT(Fanuc Oi)lathe I bought last year we have no CNC experience.
    The Lathe was so successful we now look to CNC milling to replace ancient mills.
    Key issue is software.
    On the lathe I use OneCNC lathe express and think it`s good so naturally I would buy again for the miller.
    THe local training agency we use are on EdgeCam,so this would be abig factor.Is there enough advantage to one system or the other to make my decision easier?
    I am looking for simplicity of use an easy learning curve and good support
    Probably going up to 4 axis if that makes any difference.

Regards
    Rob

Re: What is the best 3D CAM Software?

guys i need a help, I started working in a small cnc company which is on the verge of expansion and is trying to improve programming which is currently done in cimco edit.
    I need an optimum cam software for 3 and 4 axis or 3+2 (position) programming.

I was thinking about bobcad and esprit and catia nc module, but what are the pricing for those what are their flaws and advanteges or is there better solution?

i see mastercam won but why I need to ask? why is it the best and how much is it more expensive than others?

Allen,
    I prefer Mastercam of course as I have been a user for going on 30 years. I do the 3 and 4 axis or 3+2 (position) programming plus full all the time for my customers. As the software is powerful but simple.

Now you are thinking about Bobcad now this will be cheaper then all you listed . it has come along way.
    Esprit is strong especially on the Milturn and Wire side. Also has a good Mill side to.

catia nc module this will cost the most and the longest of learning curve.

Now back to Mastercam for another thought what do you have for CAD. Mastercam will include a really good CAD side these days.So what you are getting is a strong Cad-Cam system.

So you are using the Cimco Edit Pro I am gathering are you using the add-on called Calc shown here Precision Program Services, inc. | Products | Cimco | CNC Calc 7 were you draw 2d basics and write code.

What stat are you in?
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

thanks for the reply, im from croatia, im programming manually on machine using g code or cimco edit, nothing else.

I did not understand, is the mastercam most expensive or how would it be compared to other cam software pricewise?
    thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by allenp View Post
    thanks for the reply, im from croatia, im programming manually on machine using g code or cimco edit, nothing else.

I did not understand, is the mastercam most expensive or how would it be compared to other cam software pricewise?
    thanks again
    then id go with bobcad . I have it I don't think its the best software , but I do think its a good choice for the type of programming it sounds like your doing . I have been using it for a few years now and it is pretty simple to figure out .

Allen,
    It is cheaper cost then Catia and more then Bobcad. but it also maters on what you need as you find there are what we call levels. So I would talk to the Mastercam dealer in your area. he or she should ask what you are doing and what you need to do to tell what you actually need.

Hope this helps.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Check out HSMXpress

Check out HSMXpress, it is free for Solidworks.
    Know it is free for Autodesk Inventor. Very simple and very powerful.
    Even HSMXpress has a full tool library and free posts for most machines including Mach3.
    HSM Pro on the other hand is $$$$ but will do full 3d and 5 axis.

But for you to use the free 2.5 axis you need either Solid works or inventor. so there is still a cost. and you may find you don't need such a CAD system.

Just thoughts.
    Cadcam

there is no best depends on you needs is like which sport you like ,.. tennis till baseball soccer sycron swimming etc ,..

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

guys thanks for the replies, is bobcad capable of doing 3d milling where all 3 axes work simultaneously in making complex curves like esprit is?

how does it do in that area?

we could be doing some paintball gun parts and a little more complex shapes in future, for now on I can still do all the work from Cimco.

Yes there are diffrent levels to Bobcad that can do Surface milling. I just got done a few weeks back helping a local company that makes custom paint guns with some cool looking shapes on them.
    Cadcam

whats the difference between standard, pro and 4d versions?

If you are talking about Bobcad, I can tell you I do not know. look at there site should tell you.
    Cadcam

FeatureCAM by Delcam.

This software is by far the best all around package.
    You can get the bare minimum all the way up to full 5 axis and then some.
    Check it out for yourself.
    You can download a free no strings attached trial here.....> Delcam Free Software Downloads - www.delcam.com
    There is also an add-on for SolidWorks, that you can run FeatureCAM directly in SW.

Good Luck~!:cheers:

my vote goes to mastercam too.
    A blacksmith

i use bobcad v27 and it can do 3 d simultan ,.. at 4th axis i have to see at next piece who needs it ,..

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Personally, I like GibbsCam. I used them since it was the Gibbs system based on a Mac computer! Wow! it's been awhile :=(
    www.WebMachinist.Net
    The Ultimate Online Source for Machinist Related Stuff!

I have used MasterCam, Gibbs, and Esprit. The biggest thing you need to look at is post support! The system you see on the screen has more to do with the users comfort level. The real work comes when you send it to the machine and push the green button. Regardless of what anyone says, no you should not have to edit the code. If it is not right, tell the Cam company and work with your machine builder to get it right.

There's a ton of info in this thread but I would be interested on what you guys would recommend for me. I'm fairly new to CNCing and I currently use Mastercam X9. While it is very powerful, it's rather cumbersome to create programs quickly.
    Most of the parts we make are for our own R&D, and 9/10 times, we only make 1 of each part and we order new cutters for almost every job meaning our machining programs are only used once. And if we ever have to make a particular part again, it's usually been revised 3 times by then so a whole new program is required. I feel like Mastercam is suited more for high volume production where there's an extreme amount of control over a toolpath to squeeze every second out of a cycle, but not so much for rapid prototyping.

We are an aerospace company so our parts get pretty complex and our tolerances get down to +/-0.0005, so I would like to see suggestions for "high-end" type CAM packages. Our engineers use Solidworks for all our designs, all of our machines are HAAS.

If i were to ask for some general requirements they'd be: full 3D milling & turning, 4 & 5 axis milling support, an intuitive tool library/management, Solidworks integration, Verisurf integration, & frequent updates.

Two options that have been brought up to me (by salesmen) are Delcam Powermill/FeatureCAM, and SolidCAM but it's hard to get an idea of what it's like to use them without actually machining a part with them.

What are your recommendations and why? Also, have you used Mastercam before?

Thanks!!

Page 22 of 27 122021222324