586,113 active members*
3,089 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Shopsabre > Controller more bugs than an old dog
Page 1 of 2 12

Controller more bugs than an old dog

Hello,

I have posted in the Wincnc area already but maybe you can help me?

I have a 2006 ShopSabre with low hours. I am running servos and love the machine and have no complaints with the support from ShopSabre. However I have a serious problem with the z axis, it randomly likes to crash into the spoil board. I have re-set the g37 tool touch switch spoilboard setting several times useing the instructions that came with the switch and also a slightly different method that the ShopSabre tech uses. In both cases the machine would work for a short while then the bug returns. The z soft limits will not work after the bugs return they think absolute zero is about 5" to 7" above the spoil board. The whole z axis is so unstable that the machine is unusable unless I want to risk wrecking the spindle and or whatever is being worked on. Twice in the last two weeks I have had to hit the abort as the z bugged out and crashed, once into the spoil board and once into a project.

Does anybody know of a cure other then switching controllers.

Thanks,

daisy if you post in the shopsabre thread with the most post you will wake up some of the participants other wise one would have to wait untill they just happen to check the thread

jim
    James McGrew CAMaster 508 ATC
    www.mcgrewwoodwork.com http://dropc.am/p/EJaKyl

I have a 2006 shop sabre with servos also. No problems so far but I just got it a few weeks ago. I'm not sure what is causing your problem but I would suspect the controller or encoder. Could also be a loose or frayed/bare/short wire. I would check every inch of wire for bare spots & shorts. Check all the connections & check for kinks that could cause a broken wire inside the insulation. If you still can't find the problem then it could be the encoder or controller. $$$$$$$$$

Another thought!
    The encoder could be loose on the shaft, but I think that would cause a more permanent problem.

Thanks Loco, I'll give the wires a good look. With the problem being of an intermitent nature a ground fault is a definite possibility.

Ddog,
    Any luck finding the z goblin? Where are you located? If your not too far, perhaps I could come by & take a look. Being an owner of basically the same machine, I really want you to get this solved.

I sincerely appreciate your help Loco. I am located in s.w. Michigan, Kalamazoo to be exact.

I have not traced the wire from controller to motor yet, that will happen this afternoon. I am also going to call Shopsabre again and see if they have any more ideas.

I am leaving for a one week vacation Sunday and hope to have something figured out by then.

Thanks Again,

Joe Ddog

Ddog
    Just a little too far for a visit. I'm in Pensacola, FL. I'll help from here as best I can. I talked to a friend who is a wizard with electronics, he thinks it's a short, loose/broken wire, cold solder joint or cracked circuit board somewhere in the encoder circuit.

HI Loco, I think I'll just come down your way and forget about my cnc problems till Spring.

Thanks for the time and input I will use the info during my next session with Ben from Shopsabre. I did trace down the z axis motor wires and they looked good, there could still be a problem that is not readily visible.

Thanks,

JoeDdog

ddog,
    Keep after it. You'll find that gremlin.

I had the same problem with my previous ShopSabre. We were never able to identify it, but they thought it might be in the WinCNC software (which doesn't make sense sense to me as an intermittent thing). I just received my new ShopSabre, and it is working great using the old controller. (The problem with spoilboard crashing is it is very intermittent, so I may still see it) Here is my thought though ... Check to ensure nothing, or noone, is bumping the tool height switch during operation. This is probably nothing, but the last time this happened to me, I had bumped the switch with my elbow and didn't think much of it until the next tool change, when the problem occurred. Not something I want to test for sure, but if this is the problem, then WinCNC should disable the switch if it is not specifically being used.

what do you mean by a tool height switch, i have two machines one with multiple tools and one with only one, i have custom screens and the wincnc is fully changable, can i see a screen shot of your screen? we call setting tool depth or "z" height, "touchtop" this is done with a macro and the screen has a button for it, setting multiple tools is automatic on my screens, my tool change screen is at shop so i will show you later.

jim

I am talking about the tool height switch on the machine. Mine is located next to the tool bar. I am not confident that this was my issue, but bumping the switch was the only common element I could find to the diving problem, and the problem didn't occur after I started watching it. I haven't had the new machine long enough to know if it will still have the problem. My logic is that bumping the switch caused the machine to think the tool bottom was much higher than it was, so the next change to that tool the machine went to the new height. I would think that WinCNC would disable this switch except during a tool height calibration command

ahh atc tool setter, yes i can ask

jim

I have the tool touch switch also although I do not have an atc (wish I did).
    I have to acclimate the touch switch to the spoilboard for it to operate properly after the acclimating the switch it is supposed to stay that way until the spoilboard is replaced. However my controller loses track of the relative lacation of z within a few tool changes or z moves during executing a file. The soft limit will only allow the machine to run with the cutter about 5 inches above the spoilboard and no higher than 51/4 inches off it and if I turn off the soft limits I fear another crash is just waiting to happen. The thing about the soft limits being so far off is this reflects that somewhere in the controller system (software, hardware,etc.) there is a disconnect on where the z is.

I have not had time to run a tune up test that shop sabre sent me, that is next hopefully it will work. I'll let you know.

Joe Ddog

we use a 1/2 inch plate of aluminum attached to a pin on wincnc, we call it touch pad, the aluminum pad stores away when not needed and has never lost position. i'll try to show you a pic today, the command is set tool depth and bit touches plate and retracts to a preset height above table, say.75 and z iz now set.

jim

James,
    I am interested in your aluminum plate. Could you put up a picture and let me know how it is wired. Does the bit provide the ground path so it acts like a switch?

Randy

yes i am on my way out but will take a pic and send you the mac for it it is called a touch mac, back in a bit

jim

we have atouch top command on screen, aluminum piece is pinned to wincnc

jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3659.JPG   IMG_3668.JPG   IMG_3669.JPG  

Jim,
    Do you have details on what pin you are using on the controller, what the board is, and any coding needed when an interupt occurs in wincnc.

Page 1 of 2 12