587,011 active members*
3,717 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongkol View Post
    I am little puzzled with pin17, Can it also turn on or off spindle? M03 and M05 commands in g-code can control pin17. It's right or wrong?
    That is correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongkol View Post
    In Hypertherm 1000. . .Purple wire. what does it mean? Orange wire. what does it mean?
    These can be found inside the access cover where the torch connects to the plasma machine. These wires connect to the manual torch trigger.

Plasma machine

Hi Pyrotechnical,

Thanks for information. Pyro,Do you have the photo after cutting with plasma machine?

Regards,
    Mongkol

I like the toriodal transformer and drives packed into an old PC case. Looks like you used 608 bearings as guide rollers. I am curious why the gantry is spaced above the side rails on A frames, rather than raising the side rails above the table and eliminating the A frames? In all a nice bit of fabrication, like me paint is an afterthought I am in the process of designing an oxy fuel table which is why I am curious about your design choices.

Hi Pyrotechnical, nice machine, I'm also building mine, about the motors , I'm thtinking to buy 495 oz. for a 100 kilos gantry, but these motors have a 1/4" shaft, , i'm not sure about it, anyone can help?
    Luis

Quote Originally Posted by HelicalCut View Post
    I like the toriodal transformer and drives packed into an old PC case. Looks like you used 608 bearings as guide rollers. I am curious why the gantry is spaced above the side rails on A frames, rather than raising the side rails above the table and eliminating the A frames? In all a nice bit of fabrication, like me paint is an afterthought I am in the process of designing an oxy fuel table which is why I am curious about your design choices.
    Yes, I used 608 skate bearings from vxb.com.

A consideration in the gantry/rail configuration was the desire to load the table from the side or end without any projections above the table surface.

Quote Originally Posted by lamicron View Post
    Hi Pyrotechnical, nice machine, I'm also building mine, about the motors , I'm thtinking to buy 495 oz. for a 100 kilos gantry, but these motors have a 1/4" shaft, , i'm not sure about it, anyone can help?
    Luis
    I used Keling 600 ozin Nema 34 steppers which have a 1/2" shaft.

Whether or not a 1/4" shaft would be sufficient for your design depends on the load placed on the shaft and the availability of drive gears/pulleys/sprockets or whatever drive mechanism you wish to use in that size.

Quote Originally Posted by lamicron View Post
    Luis
    Take the load off the shaft, if the pinion has a 1/4" bore, turn the mounting spigot down to fit the nearest size bearing and set up this in a housing so that it carries the load, 1/4" is a rather small shaft for a motor putting out over 3 ft Lbs of torque, that is over 60lbs on a 1" Pitch diameter gear not including thrust from the pressure angle.

Thanks for answers, I think to go up to 1/2" shaft for the gantry and leave th 1/4" shaft for the z and x axis.I'm using 20 pitch gears, 20 teeth , I choose from the info in threads.
    Luis

Nice machine, i like it
    Rob C
    Mechanical Designer/ Welder Fabricator.

Here's a picture of the machine in action, and another of some parts cut out of 1/4" plate.

It can be seen in the pics that the slats have been installed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cutting.jpg   bracket parts.jpg  

Pyrotechnical-

What size tube is that for the gantry? How heavy is it? From the picture it looks sturdy.

Steve

Nice looking parts.

Quote Originally Posted by scrambled View Post
    What size tube is that for the gantry? How heavy is it?
    The gantry tubing is 2"x3"x0.120". It's roughly 4lb/ft and is ~5 ft long.

Quote Originally Posted by ghjr View Post
    Will you share you motor/gear/rack combination and source?
    I'm sorry for overlooking your post. As mentioned, the motors are Kelling 600 ozin from kellinginc.net. The rack and pinion are from mcmaster.com and the pinions are 16 pitch, 20T 1/2” bore finished spur gear. The rack is sized to match and was purchased in 6' lengths.

Did you have to mill or grind your cold rolled rails?

Quote Originally Posted by drafterman View Post
    I didn't. I selectively chose and cut the pieces used based on the location of nicks and dings in the material. I was able to straighten the rails due to adjustability in the rail mounting.

The surface finish, while not mirrored, is shiny and smooth. There is some minor pitting on the edges due to the forming process that doesn't cause a problem as the bearing rolls on the flat material around the pitting.

The 2" width doesn't vary more than 0.002" in width from end to end.

Quote Originally Posted by drafterman View Post
    Cold rolled stock be it round or flat usually holds within .002 tolerances. On normal machine shop equipment It would be next to impossible to improve those tolerances over the long lengths used on a plasma table.

In fact if I were going to attempt to mill or grind my own rails I'd start with hot rolled strap steel. The rolling process on cold rolled stock builds up stress in the material. Practically any machining process on cold rolled material begins to stress relieve it. In turn the stock begins to warp & bow.

Neil
    If it works.....Don't fix it!

Question Safety charge pump

Hi Pyro,
    -Do you use safety charge pump with your circuit?
    -Which mode switch of the 1000 hypertherm do you use as cutting?

Mongkol

Page 2 of 2 12