586,075 active members*
4,303 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bench grinder saftey

Just wondering if any follow the saftey guard guidelines for a bench grinder?? I find it very hard to grind tools with the guard 1/8" away from the grinding wheel and also using goggles with the eye guard on the grinder also. I usually grind without the guards just with saftey glasses. Is this just a bad habbit or is our H&S committee just over protective?

As a kid, I jammed my thumb between a grinder rest that was too far from the wheel and the grinder. Still a huge scar 40 years later. Its made me a stickler about having that rest right against the wheel so a digit can't get sucked in.

My old eyes can't see through plexiglass eye sheids, they are tipped up. I wear safety glasses in the shop at all times.

Karl

Always wear your safety glasses! I was grinding a piece of 1/4 thick aluminum without glasses (which I normally wear them) and a pretty large piece hit me right next to my eyeball almost nose area. I said to myself WOW that was close, it happened so fast. Becareful of these mistakes when getting comfortable with your workflow. Now everything in my shop gets clear lexan guards, this is really the best thing in my opinion. I've had many experiences with my mill, glad I made the guards! I'd keep them on if they really aren't in the way. After all of the crazy sh*t that's happened to me, maybe I'm just anal..

Well anyway good luck!

Chris

My old eyes can't see through plexiglass eye sheids, they are tipped up. I wear safety glasses in the shop at all times.
    Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by twocik View Post
    Always wear your safety glasses! I was grinding a piece of 1/4 thick aluminum without glasses (which I normally wear them) and a pretty large piece hit me right next to my eyeball almost nose area. I said to myself WOW that was close, it happened so fast. Becareful of these mistakes when getting comfortable with your workflow. Now everything in my shop gets clear lexan guards, this is really the best thing in my opinion. I've had many experiences with my mill, glad I made the guards! I'd keep them on if they really aren't in the way. After all of the crazy sh*t that's happened to me, maybe I'm just anal..

Well anyway good luck!

Chris
    Sorry to say but a piece of Al hitting you in the eye would be the least of your problems in my work area! I would be your biggest.... and "Grinding" Al on our big Wulf would earn you a written warning! the next user to switch the unit on is in the firing line for whatever you've smeared around the wheel. In the UK anyone changing or truing an abrasive wheel has to be a trained and competent person.

I started at a new company around 5 years ago and on the grinder it read "Don't grined Ally stupid" I asked the foreman which illiterate one wrote that....It was him lol
    Keith

I started at a new company around 5 years ago and on the grinder it read "Don't grined Ally stupid" I asked the foreman which illiterate one wrote that....It was him lol
    Mama always said, "stupid is, as stupid does".

Forrest Gump - 1994