So I've been wanting a CNC router for a few years for wood, and occasional light aluminum work. At heart I'm a CNC newbie. I usually get stuck in a recursive loop that involves me wanting to build better than shapeoko, then not wanting to actually build it because I couldn't afford the quality I actually want. I'm a carpenter by trade, and as a result my wants from a CNC are pretty high. Now that I can afford a DIY CNC of good quality, I realized I don't think I actually have the power required to run the size I want. I rent, and I have 20 amps @ 110 in the garage. Turns out day dreaming doesn't take real world requirements into count. I'm pretty sure an additional subpanel would be very expensive, I think the main would need a serious upgrade. I would be willing to get it done right(or wrong), but its probably not worth it on a rental. Though I am questioning how much I really need the A/C from now until June. I happen to have a 7 CFM vacuum pump too, and no one would be the wiser....

So there goes what I really want until I move. Right now I'm looking at a 32" x 32" x 6" working area. Approximate to be based off of rail and screw sizes. Wood frame, linear rails with ball screws. Makita or dewalt router.

I was looking at clearpath until someone clued me in that DMM and Delta were out there. I still am because it looks like Delta and DMM would consume too much power for me, even though it might be cheaper. AND I am super interested in using C++ and software to directly control the servos. I have other motion control applications where a software language controlled servo would be amazing because then the knowledge and tools would be universal from the CNC to what I'm building with said CNC.

What do you guys think? Will clearpath be too much power, and I should just get some 3-4A steppers?