Greetings, I'm new in the forum and objectively at all, I am a student who does not know much about CNC machines and that my purchasing power is low (I do not have much money), I hope not to be too much trouble and you can help me in this consultation.

This is the scenario, I have access to Haas machines and I want to collect the data from the machine, specially the number of cycles, number of the program that's running at the time and the cycle time, the idea is to make an automated record of the cycles executed on the machine.
I have seen some solutions like Haas Connect, but the machines that I have access to are older models (TM-1 from 2006, for example) and only have the RS232 port, so I would like to know if you know any option for this scenario.

Anyway, I have this "idea", but I would like you to give me your opinion:

Luckily Haas machines have the "DPRINT" option, so I could try use some kind of Arduino/Micro controller based circuit to read the RS232 data, store it and do whatever I want with it (in this case, send the information to a server and update a data base).
The most affordable option could be use the RS232 to TTL coverter (Based on Max3232 IC), leaving a diagram like this:

It could work?, I know it isn't the best option, but it's the most affordable.

And if it works, what aspects I should consider, the config of the Haas machine to send info via RS232 port? (specially Baudrate), the layout of the cables from DB25 to DB9?, other thing?

I am totally new in this subject, that is why I ask for your great help, thank you in advance.