586,379 active members*
2,803 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Rhino 3D > Whats the best way to get these grooves..

Whats the best way to get these grooves..

New to Rhino - about 1 week and trying to absorb everything. I have alot of this style of 3ds to do for molds - and they all have some type of surface design on them - not sure if you'd call it engraving or not.

You can see from the pics - I can't figure out how to get the rings, ribs, grooves - to my surface. These need to be milled out - so must be part of the mold.

It seems it should be simple - I'm sure I just don't know all the features / tools of Rhino. (I even made a bunch of ellipses - like donuts => array - looked stupid!)

Appreciate any guidance....

thanks,
    Kevin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SLING.jpg   IMG_0102SM.JPG   IMG_0096sm.JPG  

Well Kevin the first shot looks like a boat tail bullet but the other two seems to be lures? How close am I?

What type of groove is it you are needing. A spiral around the part. Is the groove to be in the part or in the mold?

If you have a sample 3dm file you can zip and attach it would certainly help.

Mike

edit: ok I see the grooves in the two sample part photos.
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Mike,
    The 1st shot - is what I was starting with to get the basic shape of the worm bait. Its not really a spiral - because each groove is like a ring around the shape that connects - not just spiraling around the length. Does that make sense?

Kevin are you talking about worms with the bands around them? If so, I can hellp you pretty quick with that. Grooves running lengthwise or radially around the worm can be done quite easily too, but will require me a little more time.

Mike

Yes - the bands that run around the worm.

The frog has a different pattern about it - but I figured the worm would be easier for me learn with for my first project.

Kevin

Kevin pm me your email address and I will whip one out.

Mike

Talking

turmite did you get it? I was wondering what approach you had taken?

I made some arcs, joined them, and then bent the top then revolved rail...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled.jpg  
    Hey check out my website...www.cravenoriginal.com
    Thanks Marc

Talking

Hey on the frog... Don't draw the lines in just make the toolpath do that work for you?? Better yet do that for the worm too? It would be easierererereer.....

It looks like an angle on a paralell finish path with to much step...
    Thanks Marc

So you think I can do the bands - designs on the body's of these baits by using the CAM software and the tool paths? I haven't even looked at CAM software - other than some demos. My machine comes with SheetCam or I can get aupgrade to Sprutcam. I thought about getting RhinoCam to keep everything easier. Any recommendations on which one to start with?

Kevin

I have rhinocam.. btu if your just goin to make a few lure mold, it might not be justified... But I use it a lot and would not trade it for anything...

You need to understand toolpaths.... well if you don't understand.. you will need to... A 1/2" ballmill like a pencil. drawing lines on paper.. left to right advancing from the bottom to the top in incriments of .375 will cause a ridge and the reason is the ball shape combined with the advance of more than the radius..

I have sheetcam too. I have not ever tried to make a path like that.. I use it for plasma tool paths...

look around the forums for simulator screen shots... You'll see the stripes...

Look at this video I found it gor you.. See the lines that run the same direction as the tool is going? thats is, and if you use a ball shape you'll get the result you are looing for.. But you can program it in rhincam for sure..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EueG...elated&search=
    Thanks Marc

Hey Kevin,

Yep I got it and have been busy today installing a new dishwasher so you know which person I'm trying to make happy!

I been gone the rest of the day and will back in a couple hrs. I will send it to you then, but it does look like you are making progress. I used revolve to get what I have but it only has a single band. I see you are wanting much more detail.

I'll go back and redux the model!

Mike

Pointcloud - I think I understand what you're saying with the toolpath layout to get what I need. Once I get my machine up, I can do some testing.

Turmite - no problem - sounds like you've got you're priority's right!

Guys - I'll be gone out of town 'til Thursday - so no hurry with your help. I'll touch base when I get back. My machine will be arriving Friday - so I'll be busy getting it setup and tested out.

You guys are great for helping - hope I can return the favor some day..

Kevin

Another approach might be like this.

Draw the basic worm shape, perhaps by drawing a mean curve, and creating a pipe from it with round ends. This can be control-point edited until the shape matches the picture perfectly.
    Then, draw a curve over the middle of each of the ribs (rings) that extends over both edges of your main surface. Once these are drawn, select them, and us the curve_from objects_project function to create rings that wrap around the surface. Once this is done, select the curves, and select solid_pipe.

This way, you will end up with something similar to what I have drawn. Bear in mind I only spent 5 minutes on this, and yours will therefore look much better.

I do agree with some earlier posts that the best way to effect the rings is to use a ball end-mill with a 95% stepover, and "engrave" the rings into the female mold.

Good luck,

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails worm.JPG  

If there is nothing 'critical' about the grooves, I wouldn't waste my time modelling the exact surface, because it doesn't really facilitate machining the details later. What you'll want is a nice smooth toolpath running the length of each groove. Such a toolpath would most likely be a simple projection of a line onto the 3d surface of the basic mold shape. As Rob posted above, an engraving style toolpath.

I do not use Rhino or Rhinocam, but for this type of functionality in OneCNC, you'd need the Expert version with Custom SMT toolpath to make your job easy. At least, I think it would be easy
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I have my machine up and running - so I'm off tomorrow to get some alum. practice materials - along with some tooling. That should help me understand what I can do with the toolpaths & over-stepping to get the designs on the bodies of the baits.

Thanks for everybody's help - keep you posted...

Kevin

I think the toolpath way is probably the best way as far as time, but another way might be to use the Rhino4Labs plug in for displacements:

http://en.wiki.mcneel.com/default.as...placement.html

You can make very subtle groves with this plugin, but might be more intensive as it will eventually generate a surface, but it might give you more control over the exact patterning.

Good luck!