586,655 active members*
2,233 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Laser Engraving and Cutting Machines > Laser Engraving / Cutting Machine General Topics > How to make gaps or cut outs in lines for laser cutting in corel draw or rhino

How to make gaps or cut outs in lines for laser cutting in corel draw or rhino

I´m starting to make modelplan kits in my new laser.
    my problem is to make small gaps in the lines so the small part dont fall apart from the sheet.

thankfull for help

dashed lines in rhino/corel

The way my Laser works, if the line is pure blue (R=0, G=0, B=255), the laser knows to cut instead of engrave.

That being said, in Rhino, you can split a curve with either curves or points. I recommend placing 1 point on the curve you want to split up. Then, select the point and use the Transform_array_along curve function. This will allow you to space the points by distance, or number of points.

Once you have a lot of points along that curve, select the curve and use the "split" button. Then, select all points using the rectangle select method, and press enter. Then, all you have to do is delete the points and the segments of the curve you do not want.

Once that is finished, make sure the color is Blue, and export to DWG.

Once open in corel, you can simply print to file, and run it on your laser (that is, if your laser is anything like a versalaser.

Good luck,

Rob

thanks

i tried that in rhino and i cant get it to work.
    my lines is red and i put points over the sheet whit lines mark all and klick on cut or trim but nothing happens what a´m a doing wrong?

Niklas

Hi Niklas , I only make it speeding the machine, I mean : I raise the speed and when it don't cut I return a little and the pieces stay in place. After you put some pressure and get the piece out.....
    Luis

Maybe I did not say it well, ( forgive my english) If im cutiing at 50mm? sec or 50% power , if I raise the speed to 60mm/sec it will not cut, but you can put some pressure on the piece and it will get out, the option is find the best speed between 50 and 60 so the cut is not finished at all but is really close to.
    Luis

Hi niklasn78
    I just tried to cut the lines in Corel draw 12 and couldn't find a way with the normal trim tools but I did find a simple way to cut the lines using the rectangle tool.
    Just draw a small rectangle the width you want the break to be, say 1mm wide and 5 mm long( or any length), then select " No line " in the properties bar on the right hand side and then choose the background colour as the fill colour, in my case, white and then hit apply and viola, a gap in the line.
    Thanks for asking this question as I too had been thinking about how to do the exact same thing and then it just hit me. It's really very easy.
    Thank you .
    regards, Richard.
    I am not completely useless.......I can always serve as a BAD example.

Thanks for the adwise mononeuron

I will try that

Select the LINE in rhino and type EXPLODE into the rhino browser... Then you can delete small lines. And if there to long select the line and f10 pull it to where you need it... You may add lines by using control points and points in the onsnap...
    Hey check out my website...www.cravenoriginal.com
    Thanks Marc

Hi Niklas,

Here is the steps in CorelDraw:
    First assume that your shape is a circle and you need two small curves on its circumstance to be a half cut (gap) [see the attachments].
    -Be sure that your shape is a curve(Ex. if you draw a circle it must be converted to curve press Ctrl+Q ).
    -Be sure that your shape is an opened shape not closed shape(to open any shape it must be converted to curve, then just use the shape tool and right click on any point on the shape and select Break Apart from the appearing menu).
    -Now we need to get the half cut area(gap area) that it will not be cut totally, so draw a rectangle that it will intersects with the circle in the two places, give it a width as you need 1mm or 2mm.
    -Now select the two shapes then get the intersection between the rectangle and the circle(Arrange menu->Shaping->Intersect), then give the two small resulting curve another outline color to be defined as a half cut(more speed and or less power).
    -Now select the rectangle, then by using shift key select the circle too and trim the circle(Arrange menu->Shaping->Trim) to remove the half cut area from the original circle shape then give resulting curve another outline color to be defined as a cutting curve(less speed and more power).
    -Finally delete the rectangle.

Good Luck
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails convert to curves.jpg   break curve.jpg   shaping intercect.jpg   shaping trim.jpg  

final shape with half cut.jpg  

Thanks pointcloud

Just wondering when i have close 2 points closer to each other, Howe do i cut the line between the dots?

Also if some one has any problem with engraving images, see my post here
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...729#post327729

To fractaledge3

Thanks

Can i do this manner in a sheet whit many figures?

Niklas

Hi Niklas,
    There are two cases:
    1- If the shapes on the sheet are just a repeats then just do that steps with the first shape then repeat it.
    2-If the shapes on the sheet are not the same, then you should to apply that steps to every shape on the sheet or in some cases you can combine all the shapes then let the rectangle to intersect with them but don't forget to open the shapes.

Also take care with the shapes that has many shapes inside (Ex. letter B [it has two inner curves inside the outer curve]).

Hi Niklas,
    Here is another method for complicated shapes.

-Select the knife tool (use it to open any curve).
    -Disable auto close-on cut (knife tool options on tool bar).
    -Cut a point on each curve including the internal curves to open every curve.
    -Get the half cut(gap) area using a rectangle(the previous steps that I post).

Osama
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails knife tool.jpg   disable auto-close on cut.jpg   final text with half cut.jpg  

Hey guys, why not just change the outline (that you would be using to cut the figure out) to a dashed line, with long dashes. In autocad you can change line types very easily, plus you can either make up your own custom lines, or just pick a dashed line type and change the line type scale. Changing the line type scale changes the length of the dashes and the spaces in the lines. To do this is likely about 20 seconds worth of work. Why bother trying to cut the line up with rectangles and so on, that is way too much time consumed for a simple process.

I am not too familiar with Corel yet, but I would imagine that you might be able to change the outline to a dashed line of some type.

I also like the idea of only cutting about 95% of the way through, except that this method could leave you with a lot of clean up to be done all the way around the edge. The other draw back to this is that you need a special power setting for every single type of material and thickness you come across, whereas the dashed line could get you through several types or thicknesses of material with one or two general settings.

Pete

We need to cut the shape totally but we need to get some half cut area to keep that shape within its material like the wooden or acrylic kits, so The main problem in dashed line that there will be gaps in your shape, without cutting or half cutting those gaps the shape will not come out from the material.

Osama

Hi Osama , there is another way to hold your cut pieces in place, cut it as a mirror (inverted , for the back side) some materials cut better this way and leave better shape, after you cut, put some contact vinyl adhesive over the plate and then you have the front of your product clean. Be sure to use a not aggressive glued tape or vinyl, you can use that blue one used to protect the acrilyc plates from scratches, it holds not to tigth and is easy to peel off
    Luis

Quote Originally Posted by lamicron View Post
    Hi Osama , there is another way to hold your cut pieces in place, cut it as a mirror (inverted , for the back side) some materials cut better this way and leave better shape, after you cut, put some contact vinyl adhesive over the plate and then you have the front of your product clean. Be sure to use a not aggressive glued tape or vinyl, you can use that blue one used to protect the acrilyc plates from scratches, it holds not to tigth and is easy to peel off
    Luis
    Hi Luis,
    Good idea [If accepted by Niklas ], We are using some kind of masking tape(used with vinyl as backup to remove and past) to do it .

Quote Originally Posted by niklasn78 View Post
    Thanks pointcloud

Just wondering when i have close 2 points closer to each other, Howe do i cut the line between the dots?
    niklasn78, I am not pointcloud, but I can help you with this. First the points must lay on the curve. If you will look at left side of your Rhino screen you will see two icons with small blue triangles. The left hand icon is for trim and the right hand icon is for split. When you mouse over the icon it will show the mouse button to use to select each function that icon allows. In the split icon use the left mouse button and the command line will ask you which object to select for splitting. Choose your curve with the points on it, and then right click the mouse. The command line will now ask you for the objects to be used for splitting the first object selected. Choose the two points and hit enter. You will now be able to zoom in and select the small section between the two points and delete it, and you're done.

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.