I need help, I am working on a project where I need to carve multiple wood cars on my 3-axis CNC for a corporate client. The issue is that I need to machine all sides of the wood blocks with repeatability and precision in mind. (I tried a one-off test and had opposite sides misaligned by a tiny bit).

While my plan isn't fixed in stone, so far I intend to machine the underside of the cars first and carve an attachment point for a metal mounting base (perhaps using alignment pins and screws?). Once I have the wood block mounted to the metal base I would then fix the metal base to a metal fixture and machine each of the remaining 5-sides. Carving one side at a time.

The issue I am having is exactly what the mounting base and associated fixture should look like. The fixture and base would need to be able to secure together in a way that ensured proper alignment. I would prefer finding already made components I could use for this as I can't mill metal with any precision. Thought about 1-2-3 blocks but don't think they would secure together in a way that would work but not sure.

I found similar cars online that were made for the purpose of pinewood derby, not sure how they were made but provide an example of what my client is looking for. Appears the 2 round holes on the bottom where used to mount it to a base but not sure. Thank you for your help.

Attachment 457304
Attachment 457306