586,685 active members*
2,177 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Rebuild old CNC or New / Matsuura MC500 vs G0704 conversion

Rebuild old CNC or New / Matsuura MC500 vs G0704 conversion

Looking for a direction to go for my first CNC. In the research phase of converting a G0704 to CNC I started to think about buying an old machine and replacing all the electronics, as I would essentially be doing this with a g0704 conversion, but I wouldn’t have to do ball screw conversions, spindle motor wouldn’t be asking for an upgrade, and I’d be getting a MUCH more ridged machine all around.

I found a 1979 Matsuura MC500 that could be had for around the cost of a new grizzly. Issues would be: all modern retrofit parts would be custom, and it uses an odd BT35 taper. Though the machine comes with a dozen tool holders.

I’ve tried to research what I can about updating old machines, but wanted to ask what you guys think about this specific situation.
    Obviously I’m in for a project.
    Thanks.

Re: Rebuild old CNC or New / Matsuura MC500 vs G0704 conversion

Hi Kistler,

I just looked up what a G0704 is. Wait a minute until I stop choking from laughing so much. There... I'm better now.

This Matsuura is 10 times, make that 100 times the iron that the little Grizzly is. It's fine to consider both options, but not even fair to compare them. The tool changer alone is enough to make it a no contest.

BT35 is a little bit of an odd ball, but with ebay and auctions and just the www. you'll have little trouble finding what you need.

If I were you and with this being your first machine, I would do what I could to get this running as is, that is if it's not running already. You have a ton to learn and the control as is will be completely capable to get you up and running. Besides, after running this machine for awhile, you'll be much more versed on what more, if anything, you really need to meet your CNC machining dreams. All the research in the world won't tell you what a year or so of operating this machine will tell you. At that point decide on if it needs an upgrade or not, or if a whole other machine might be the way to go.

Even sticking a modern control on an old machine (or a new toy machine like the one you're considering) does not make it a new machine, or automatically give you all the advantages potentially available in an advanced control. You might have speed or acceleration limitations whether from the motors or the mechanics of the machine like box ways instead of linear rails. Things like that. The box ways give your more rigidity and dampening whereas linear rails give you speed. I have a full size box way CNC machine that's been making me money for many years. Back in the day the red Matsuuras were definitely high on my list of wanna haves. Almost bought an old red 5 pallet horizontal only a year ago.

Anyway... obviously just one guys take on it, but I've rebuilt many machines (not controls) and even owned a bench top machine like the Grizzly. Simply not even close to the same thing. Not by a long shot.

My two cents.

Good luck whatever you do...

PS. Make sure you get as many of the original books on it as you possibly can. Talk down the price if they don't have any. They are worth a lot to a machine owner.

Re: Rebuild old CNC or New / Matsuura MC500 vs G0704 conversion

I agree with Kistler. I worked for Methods (the Matsura importers for decades, but not for a few years now) when the 500 was a current machine. It is a very capable small machine and no comparison with the G0704.
    The BT35 is somewhat limiting, but not as much as you would expect. Those machines can do cuts that would break the Grizzly.
    If it still runs and works, just use it as is. Learn the machine and then decide if you want to retrofit it or not. Personally, If I were to retrofit the control, I would go the Centroid route. With the ballscrew system, and way lubrication system on the machine, I would limit the rapids to around 250-300 IPM.
    My $0.02 (US)