So I've got this nice little half-horse Colombo spindle, and a 220v WEG VFD I want to run it with. The spindle has four wires: white, red, black and yellow. The VFD has four output terminals labeled U, V, W, and PE. Does anyone know which goes where? Is this general knowledge or a proprietary secret? I tried Googling it, but got nowhere. Do I have to contact WEG and Colombo tech support to figure this out?

For extra credit, maybe someone could help me figure out the input side; I've got a 220 plug with prongs labeled G, X and Y. The WEG has input terminals labeled 1/L1 N/L2 and PE. I'm figuring PE is the ground, corresponding to the pin labeled G, and that it's supposed to connect to the PE terminal on the output side, but I don't know which of the 2 hot leads go to L1 or L2, or if it even matters. If I get the polarity wrong, does the VFD even care? Is there a convention for which color wires I should attach to each prong terminal? Is it a problem if there's no neutral wire, just Ground?