586,080 active members*
3,543 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

RF30 Y axis problem

I recently purchased a Rong Fu that was about a year old and I am new to milling machines. The X axis has some play but the Y axis appears to have a lot of play in the lead screw. It appears to be about .010 to about .015 before any table movement will occur. It had some play when I got it but it appears to be getting worse. Is there an adjustment for that or is something coming loose? What is the best way to check everything out? It is on the factory stand with chip tray. Thanks.

Ah, Wished I could find a used one of those!! Find where the access to the lead screws are and you should find the mechanism that connects the screw's motion to the x and also the y axis, this may be as simple as a split nut with something to hold it togeather after you adjust for back lash. I bet that those devices are out of kilter some how like the device that holds them togeather is loose or maybe even missing.
    Good luck.
    LHP

On my machine when I got it, I found three places for backlash on the original lead screws.
    1. Where the handwheels fit on to the lead screw, there was slop between the back side and the thrust bearings in the bearing mount.
    2. As mentioned, the split nut may need adjusting
    3. I found particularly on the X axis the mounting bolts would actually work loose and allow the entire mount to move (admittedly this was after I had cnc'd it and had a few hard crashes:{(, but the potential is still there.
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

I do not have easy access to the underside of the mill table so this looks to be an endeavor to get to the acme screw nuts. I do have a couple of thousandths play in the knob area that would be nice to get rid of but the Y axis is now seriously loose. I have been pretty lucky getting used machines lately so I suppose it is time for some bad luck.

I have now disassembled the table to locate the acme split thread nuts. Unfortunately, I now fiind they were accessable with some difficulty and small hands without taking the table apart. I just did not know what I was looking for. The adjusting hex screw on the Y-axis was totally loose. The process did give me the opportunity to lube the acme screws and bearings really well.