586,119 active members*
3,514 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

is this all you need?

ok so i am a newbi to this, as you can see thiss is my first post. i am looking to build a plasma table that can handle 4x8 sheets. i currently have a powermax 1000 but if all goes well i might buy a hydefinition system in a while. so i would like to make the best table to match the machine. im just wondering about the electronics. i have been reading the forums for a while and it seems this would be all i need:

mach 3 software
    gecko controls
    servo or steppers

im not to worried about building the table.

so am i missing anything are the gecko controlers the same as amps fr the servos? does the mach 3 software provide nesting features, is there a better brand of software to be used? whats the best hight control? etc.....

any knowledge you guys are willing to give will be greatly appreciated.

Mach3 won't provide nesting, it is a control software, not cad.

Gecko stepper and servo drives are totaly different.

Look at http://www.candcnc.com
    On all equipment there are 2 levers...
    Lever "A", and Lever F'in "B"

You will need (in order)
    CAD software (Computer Aided Design) to design your parts. Look into TurboCad, Autocad, Alibre, CorelDraw, etc. You will want one that does DXF files.

CAM software (Computer Aided Machining) does nesting, lead-in/out, pierce time, cut and pierce height, etc. I recommend Sheetcam, www.Sheetcam.com but if you have to have the absolute best in nesting, you will have to spend a heck of a lot more than what Sheetcam goes for.
    Try Sheetcam, it will probably work fine for you.

Controller- This is where Mach3 comes in. It takes the file that your CAM has processed and sends signals to the Geckos.

Drivers- there are more than just Geckos out there, but why bother? Gecko has the smoothest running light industrial driver out there, with the best warranty, and nicest and most professional service. Well worth every penny.

Motors - I recommend www.homeshopcnc.com or www.kelinginc.net for steppers,

OR
    you can just hit up Tom at www.candcnc.com, and get motors, drives, breakout boards, wiring, etc. etc. AND.... the best digital Torch Height Controller on the light industrial market. He sells complete packages for whatever you need, and is one of the most helpful and knowledgeable guys you will ever meet.

Hope that helps a bit.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
    -RedGreen show.