I'm attempting to turn on a Mori Seiki SL-3 and can only get it to come on "most of the way". That is, the control is "ON", shows Z and X position but nothing will move and NO alarms are displayed.
Process: Main breaker on, E-stop release, Control On, Control On (twice or 1 long hold)

The control panel lights up Ready only when HOLDING DOWN the Control On button and as long as it is held in Z and X axis' can be homed and the spindle can be turned on. Once in a while it will stay on and function normally (Spindle on, set X and Z to Home, move both axis' manually, open/close the chuck, etc.).

I've looked at the DIAGNOSTIC screen and the CRST bit of I/O signal 701 is set to 1. The Maint book states the CRST would be caused by E-stop, Remote Reset, Reset&Rewind, or the Reset button on the panel. If Control On is pressed in and held, this 1 bit goes away. If Control On and Reset are both pushed the bit is set again. This tells me the Reset seems to work. Logic tells me the E-stop is working properly as it does shut off the motor drive contacts when pressed. The contacts on the E-stop button were checked as well and they make good contact.
Also, I/O signal/byte 001 in Diagnostics shows RST and AL (alarm) but nothing is displayed in the alarms screen. This is verified with a DMM on the reed relay on the I/O board inside the NC. The Reset&Rewind in the board is tied high at 24vDC ("If no use, short-circuit to +24v" per book), and the ERS/Remote reset is at 0v (perhaps just a dry closure)
I am at a disadvantage as I don't have the wiring diagrams and can only go by the Maintenance manual connections.

Any suggestions? Perhaps a bad component on a board that would be intermittent? Would the wiring diagrams show complete connections and thus logic?
Thanks, Balkanbear Barry