586,105 active members*
3,360 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Vertical Mill, Lathe Project Log > What is spindle nose? How do you know exact size SPINDLE NOSE? A2-6, A2-8

What is spindle nose? How do you know exact size SPINDLE NOSE? A2-6, A2-8

Hi,
    I am looking to purchase LATHE CNC and looking at different specification.
    I ran into SPINDLE NOSE which I tried to seach the exact size instead of the table said: A2-6, A1, A2-8.
    Anybody know how do I find the specification size.

Also, SPINDLE NOSE specification is used to match with the 3 JAW CHUCK? or what other purpose does it do?

Thank you very much
    Jeff

The A refers to a short taper spindle, with two different bolt hole configurations (A1 and A2). The second number refers to the actual size of the spindle. An A2-4 is smaller than an A2-8.

I used to have a copy of the dimensions, but I can't seem to find it at the moment. Perhaps another person has the document.

The number just gives you an idea of how big the spindle is on the lathe you are buying.

Thanks for the response.
    So A is small than B size?
    Then A2 is 2" Spindle Bore diameter?
    Thank you....
    (Still not very sure why would they have to come up with A2-6, A2-8 when just the specification diameter is enough?

No, A is the type of taper on the nose of the spindle. B is a different taper, not a larger spindle. Like Morse tapers versus R8.

The second thing is the number, A1 or A2. This is the bolt pattern on the nose of the spindle used to mount the chuck, not the bore through the spindle. One of them has an extra set of threaded holes, but I forget which one it is.

The last number, A1-8, for example, is some diameter measure of the bolt holes, or spindle diameter, or something. I forget exactly what diameter it is. This is the overall size of the spindle.

The bore diameter isn't in the specification, it can vary based on what the manufacturer wants to do.

A2 - 8:

• A - The taper on the nose of the spindle.
    • 2 - The bolt hole pattern on the spindle.
    • 8 - The diameter of some dimension on the spindle.

A and B are the same size of spindle nose but use different methods of holding the chuck on.here is a link to a pdf of spindle nose dimensions.

http://www.workholding.com/PDF/s3050%20(in%20s3049).pdf

Mark

very much appreciated .PDF files.

Hi to all guys

I am new member and asking you to reply my question kindly.

I am looking to purchase a spindle chuck for my lathing cnc machine and i don't know how to select The spindle nose between A2-6 and A2-8 size.

whta's the parameters in this selection? for example-fixtures weight?cutting force&velocity?or...and "is there any formula or table for this kind selections accociation with that parameters?"

see all guys ,is very important that we know this differences scientifically.for example ,your plan is that you select one of the two machine between a proposal of a machine maker and two machine are alike in basic but differet in spindle nose.

thank you very much
    rassel

not that big of a deal

Chances are your machine tool manufacturer has worked all that out. Typically your A2-6 are smaller bore machines with less horsepower at the spindle and higher RPM. If your going to engineer some hairy off balance 2 jaw chuck to hang off a spindle, regardless of the spindle nose size you'll either have to run it at slow RPM's or get a Baladyne balancing system. Your A2-8 will go up to 3" Stock/Bore if you get the right Spindle nose and collet pad system. This is typical of Big bore machine that will have the top spindle speed governed for safety.

Essentially buy a lathe that has the capability of running the size bar stock you need to run, after you calculate draw tube diameters and chucking system limitations, and from there its a matter of matching your chucking system to the spindle nose based upon these standards.

Contact the company you want to buy your chuck from or the Machine Tool manufacturer and get the spindle nose spec, they will be able to tell you what you have based upon Brand and Model.

Will you send us dimension drawing for A2-8 Spindle Nose ?

See post #5 above.

Dick Z
    DZASTR

my hardinge vmc 4th axis having one problem.
    problem is- machine off and on condition referance point shifted upto 3mm(it's incrimental encoder)
    i am already cheked some points is-1) marker pulse ref cam adjusted.
    2)ref count parameter adjusted.
    3)no backlash,no belt slip thease all are ok
    but m/c off-on condition 3mm ref point shifted?

plese give me any sugeesion.i am wait for ur replay