586,094 active members*
4,177 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: DIY ATC

Page 2 of 2 12

Re: DIY ATC

The ATC has several components that aren't actually re-brands of offshore contractor parts, but actually designed-by-Tormach (or their design company which I think is pretty tightly integrated.)
    That team doesn't sell their parts separately, so you can't find an "off label" version of the Tormach ATC, as far as I've been able to determine.

What you can do (and people have done,) is either build your own from scratch (which will take forever and cost more than just buying it,) or get something like a low-cost robot arm, and re-write the tool change macros to control that, and the appropriate solenoids for the draw-bar. Neither of these are of course cheap-and-easy -- if you want an ATC with the lowest actual outlay in dollars and time, the Tormach solution is likely the best chance you have.

Just an update. It seems to be working fine, now just have to clean the wiring up and fit the air blast..

This is with 12 tools disc. This vid is part of 30 tool changes without issues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPmGOTIOylo

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    The ATC has several components that aren't actually re-brands of offshore contractor parts, but actually designed-by-Tormach (or their design company which I think is pretty tightly integrated.)
    That team doesn't sell their parts separately, so you can't find an "off label" version of the Tormach ATC, as far as I've been able to determine..
    This is true. The Tormach ATC uses a variety of off-the-shelf components, but was designed, engineered (and manufactured for many years) in Texas. The 15L that made a lot of ATC bits and pieces is in my garage now.

There's no reason an energetic smart person couldn't make one of their own, but it's going to take work.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Just an update. It seems to be working fine, now just have to clean the wiring up and fit the air blast..

This is with 12 tools disc. This vid is part of 30 tool changes without issues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPmGOTIOylo
    Awesome job. Did you mount yours at an angle? Its hard to tell in the video. Im at the point of mounting mine and curious what others have done (specifically on a 770).

Quote Originally Posted by DCMo View Post
    Awesome job. Did you mount yours at an angle? Its hard to tell in the video. Im at the point of mounting mine and curious what others have done (specifically on a 770).
    Yes it is at an angle that means it get out of the way ie not over the table.

I now have sold the Tormach to a guy that already had the same model and to get the price down he wanted it without the tool changer.

So I will now put the auto tool-changer for sale. I am in the UK

Page 2 of 2 12