584,837 active members*
4,895 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Help in manual control of stepper motor + drive, for linear motion

Help in manual control of stepper motor + drive, for linear motion

Hey fellow members! I'm trying to create a system to control a stepper motor + drive to move a machine mounted on a leadscrew that moves linearly. Basically move the machine back and forth using switches.

Setup thought out so-far:
    Stepper Motor : SANMOTION 103-H8222-6340 6 Amps bi-polar (5,6 Nm torque)
    Drive : RTA A-NDC 06 (Up to 6 Amps current range)
    02 Inductive sensors as limit switches

I would need your suggestions on how to control this system manually.

My emphasis on using drive is only because, I need an option to control the motor through the computer (using a software) at a later stage. So there should be a way to switch between the two (Manual/Auto).
    Thanks in advance for your recommendations!

Re: Help in manual control of stepper motor + drive, for linear motion

You need something to read the buttons, check the switches, and generate DIR/STEP signals for the drive. Something like a microcontroller. As much as I personally dislike Arduino, it would be perfect for this job.

Thanks for the feedback. I see.
    But can I switch between the arduino and the PC based control when I need to operate the motor using the software?
    Also I am not sure how two parallel connections could be made to the motor drive: 1 from arduino and 1 from the PC. I will need to switch manual and PC based operation based on the need. Thanks again!

The computer does not have to be connected directly to the drive. It would be easier to connect it to the Arduino.