586,094 active members*
3,926 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Phase Converters > Error 14-How to reset?/or is my VFD toast now.... ?

Error 14-How to reset?/or is my VFD toast now.... ?

Using Hitachi SJ200 VFD. Sorry I am new to all this. The spindle iis not running. Using a 2hp IH mill.

The break out board is still letting the mill to X and Y, and Z. However getting an error 15 message. Attempted to reset VFD back to default.

B084 and up arrow to 01 however it would not show 01 it showed 00. After pressing up,down,stl,reset combo or whatever the VFD did not reset. still getting error 14.

I discovered a lose washer that held the conduit to the motor in the motor panel. Looked like it had a burn mark on it. Thinking that it might have shorted out the VFD or motor.

Also took off ALL the wires to the motor and smaller wires, and just left on the power wires. to see if there is a short somewhere going to the motor. However still error 14 even with the wires not connected.

Is this VFD toast? Is there a way to reset it, a fuse or something?

Advise needed thanks..

Rich

What does your documentation say error 14 means?

ground fault

means ground fault= the inverter is protected by the detection of ground faults between the inverter output and the motor upon during powerup tests.

a short? remember i got all the wires disconected and its still giving the error

With the VFD off and nothing connected to the 3ph out, test resistance to ground from each terminal, you could have blown a switching device etc.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    With the VFD off and nothing connected to the 3ph out, test resistance to ground from each terminal, you could have blown a switching device etc.
    Al.

thanks there is no continuity between ground and the black, red or blue that go to the spindle motor now what.

Thanks

It sounds like there is an internal fault in the drive itself so this would mean service/repair, the problem is that repairs to these often come close to the replacement cost.
    You could try contacting Hitachi support and see what they suggest.
    Al.

Albert E.

It sounds like there is an internal fault in the drive itself so this would mean service/repair, the problem is that repairs to these often come close to the replacement cost.
    You could try contacting Hitachi support and see what they suggest.
    Al.
    marvelous. why don't they just put a fuse in these things to prevent it from being destroyed if there is a short. I use Alltrax controllers for some electric vehicles, we have a fuse in the line to protect the controller.

reprogramming a new VFD for the motor sounds complex

My experience so far with VFD's has been that they cover any external eventuality pretty efficiently, i.e. over current and external ground faults etc.
    But what they don't like is foreign object dropping into sensitive circuitry?
    I suggest that you extract/write down all the parameters so that if you have to replace it you can reprogram easily by just plugging them in from the keypad.
    Al.

Albert E.

My experience so far with VFD's has been that they cover any external eventuality pretty efficiently, i.e. over current and external ground faults etc.
    But what they don't like is foreign object dropping into sensitive circuitry?
    I suggest that you extract/write down all the parameters so that if you have to replace it you can reprogram easily by just plugging them in from the keypad.
    Al.
    great suggestion! I will pull the setting off of it. Can a PC program it? I have a program that shows me all of my Alltrax controller settings it uses a serial port.

Thanks R.

AFAIK not, but the manual will tell you, some units will allow you to 'store' the parameters if the hand unit is seperate. Then transfer over to the new one.
    Al.

Albert E.

AFAIK not, but the manual will tell you, some units will allow you to 'store' the parameters if the hand unit is seperate. Then transfer over to the new one.
    Al.
    if the hand unit is seperate? Ok there is a small blue unit that had pot on it and read out, and buttons but it is pretty small, it is connected to the VFD by a network cable. Could it be as simple as using the old one and not using the new one?

ty.

You will have to check the manual, I have not used Hitachi. It sounds like it might just be a remote control unit.
    You may be able to enter parameters but not be able to download to the H.U.
    The parameters are stored in the VFD.
    Al.

Albert E.

The resett button is on the front control panel. How did the primary failure show up. Did it just not work one day, blow a fuse, snap and some smoke got out??? At first you stated error 15 then error 14??

Most VFDs don't like to be open circuited(;-(.

You cannot reconfig the unit UNLESS you follow the directions for reconfig in the manual.

VFDs CAN be VERY dangerous to work on.

(;-) TP